1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone! I recently got pretty lucky and found a guy on craigslist that had several old outboard motors he was trying to get rid of. One of the motors he had was a 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp. I've had my eye out for a motor like this because I've been wanting to give my jon boat a little more power. I gave the guy a call and offered him $50 for it. He agreed and then when I came to pick it up, he also gave me a 1956 Johnson 10hp. Unfortunately, the Johnson is locked up, but I took it anyway because you never know when you may need a part off of it. The guy said that the motors had been sitting in his barn for 20 or 30 years. They both definitely look their age. You can tell that they have been run in salt water by the corrosion on them. But, I figured I'd give it a shot and see if this 18hp is restorable. First, the recoil spring was broken on the starter. No problem, I just took the starter off the johnson and put it on the evinrude. The Johnson paid for itself already! Then I noticed that one of the fuel lines was cracked. I replaced it. I replaced the lower unit oil. It didn't seem to have any water in it. Dirt dobbers had made this motor their home over the years, so I spent some time with a screw driver scraping dirt out of the tale tale. I checked the coils and I didn't see any cracks in them. This motor even has the old Champion J6J plugs that you can't find anymore! I checked compression and it had 110 lbs. in each cylinder. Then, I decided to see if this old motor would crank. After pulling on it several times, it actually fired up and ran! I was really surprised that after all these years, it fired right up. It even pumped water and everything. So, I took it out to the river to see what it could do on my boat. It fired right up and ran great, but it stopped pumping water when I got it up to speed good, so I had to shut the motor down and troll back. Thoroughly convinced now that this motor is worth putting more money into, I have ordered a new impeller with ware plate and a carb rebuild kit. I should get them in the mail next week.

Now, on to my questions. I pulled the lower unit off to take a look at the impeller. When I pulled the lower unit off, the drive shaft actually came out of the powerhead AND the lower unit. It seemed to go right back in the lower unit with no problems, but I thought it was strange because I have changed the impeller in my 1957 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp before and the drive shaft didn't come out of the lower unit when I did that. So, my first question is: Is it bad that the drive shaft came out of the lower unit?

When I got down to the impeller, it really didn't look in all that bad of shape. I was expecting it to be in pieces, but it was all in one piece. So, I put everything back together and took it down to the river again to see if it would pump water. The motor pumps water perfectly fine at idle and low speed, but when you increase the throttle and get up to speed, it quits pumping water. Then you bring it back down to idle and it starts pumping water again. Strange? I assume this problem will be fixed when I get my new impeller in the mail and replace it. Any thoughts on that? My guess is that it is so old that the little legs just bend over when it gets up to high speed and so it stops pumping water?

This poor little motor has been jery rigged to death! It has a Johnson tiller handle, a Johnson recoil starter (thanks to me), some type of strange round knob screwed in in the place of the choke knob (but it works), and instead of the water pump housing being attached by screws to the lower unit, someone has actually drilled through to the outside (where the bolts are that bolt on the lower unit to the exhaust housing assembly) and the waterpump housing is actually attached by bolts with nuts and lockwashers! I'm hoping that this is not the cause of my water pumping issues. I may have to include some pictures in this thread so you can see what I'm talking about.

I look forward to gaining more knowlege about this motor!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

if the shaft came out of the lower unit the key for the impeller will not be where its suppose to be so that may be you reason for poor cooling.at the top of the shaft thee should be a o-ring a couple of inches down from the top of the shaft also.take your time fixing it and that motor will give you another 50 years of service.if the coils are very pale looking they are no good and will need to be replaced or they will let you down when you need them most.good luck with her and have fun.post pics id love to see what yor talking about for the waterpump housing.if its toast dont fret theres only about 1.8 million of them out there.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, those old 18's are very good motors. I own one the same year, myself. It was stuck when I brought it home, but once I got it free, I found 100psi in each cylinder. I actually got mine running right off the bat too.:D So yea....you have a great motor which will be worth every dime to restore. As far as your old Johnson 10 goes, don't write that one off yet. Pour some PB Blaster in the cylinders and let it sit. I bet it'll free up in a few days. Motors the get stuck from sitting, typically free up, with a little effort. It's when they get stuck, from water getting in the cylinders, that make it tough to work with. Anyhow, fix it up and take care of it. It will be a great motor.:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The driveshaft coming out is ok. It goes right back in but yes, watch for the key that drives the impeller, it must be there to turn it and the driveshaft should not come out if the key is there and the water housing pump still installed.

The bolts and nuts holding the water pump on could be an issue. I guess time will tell once you have the new impeller. And yes, hopefully the new impeller will fix the water pumping issue. If not something might be plugging the water circuit although you'd think it would happen more at low speed.

I believe I have the parts manual for that engine. If you send me a PM with your email address in it and what manual you want, I could send it.

I have several 18's and they are great engines. Just fix em up :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water pump housing could be worn out or the tiny bleed hole that keeps the cavity around the drive shaft filled may be plugged. Either would let air (exhaust) go down through the shaft hole in the pump at higher speeds. They are a great water pump, but a lousy air pump.

Attachments

• Water pump housing bleed hole.jpg
    Water pump housing bleed hole.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A new impeller may alleviate some of the pump issue. Impellers that "look" okay are often softened with age - a sign they may be on their way out. New ones are a little stiffer. Also, when the driveshaft pulled out it may have nicked the pump housing with the drive pin - check that when you get back in there.

As long as the pump housing seats properly, the rigged bolting shouldn't matter. The little screws they used originally are noted for snapping off, particularly in salties....
- Scott

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem, I just took the starter off the johnson and put it on the evinrude.

this simply isn't possible unless the johnson is also a 15/18. The 10 hp recoil has three starter pawls that catch a starter gear mounted on the three-hole pattern on the flywheel

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

this simply isn't possible unless the johnson is also a 15/18. The 10 hp recoil has three starter pawls that catch a starter gear mounted on the three-hole pattern on the flywheel

I didn't think it would work either. I first tried taking the starter off my 1962 10hp Evinrude Sportwin. That didn't work. It wouldn't catch anything. Then, I tried the one of the Johnson and it worked perfectly. I went out and double checked the model number on my Johnson. On the plate on the side of stern bracket it reads Model Number: QD 17R Serial Number: 1453738. The silver freeze plug on the side of the powerhead reads 1453738. That model number matches up with what my book says is a 1956 10hp. There is also a number stamped on the cylinder. It reads 301848 if that is of any help. I also thought it was somewhat strange because the propeller on the Evinrude 18hp and the Johnson 10hp look exactly the same. But the propeller on my 1962 Evinrude 10 hp is much smaller. I tried to take the propeller off the Johnson and put it on my 10hp evinrude, but it wouldn't fit because the propeller has too large of a diameter. That made me wonder if the Johnson was actually a 15 or 18hp, but the model number says it's a 10hp.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'd like to see pics of your motors. this fascinates me. one motor probably doesn't have the correct flywheel, that's the only other thing that can make this work

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are some pictures:

HPIM1193.jpg

HPIM1194.jpg

HPIM1195.jpg

HPIM1196.jpg

HPIM1197.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are some pictures of the 1956 Johnson 10hp:

HPIM1202.jpg

HPIM1201.jpg

HPIM1200.jpg

HPIM1198.jpg

HPIM1199.jpg

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also thought it was somewhat strange because the propeller on the Evinrude 18hp and the Johnson 10hp look exactly the same. But the propeller on my 1962 Evinrude 10 hp is much smaller. I tried to take the propeller off the Johnson and put it on my 10hp evinrude, but it wouldn't fit because the propeller has too large of a diameter. That made me wonder if the Johnson was actually a 15 or 18hp, but the model number says it's a 10hp.

those metal cowl 10's shared the same lower units as their bigger brothers, that's why the propeller fits the 56 and not the Sportwin. It's really not the original propeller on that 56 Johnson either. It's also obvious by looking at the recoil starter that it probably didn't work on the 56.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

those metal cowl 10's shared the same lower units as their bigger brothers, that's why the propeller fits the 56 and not the Sportwin. It's really not the original propeller on that 56 Johnson either. It's also obvious by looking at the recoil starter that it probably didn't work on the 56.

Why do you say that it's obvious that the recoil starter didn't work on the 56?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

The recoil and flywheel look the same as my 1956 15HP Fastwin. Rick

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see any difference in that motor on e-bay and my motor.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about the flywheel on my Fastwin. Does it look original to you?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Looks the same as my '56 so I would assume yes. Rick

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Okay - a little background on the 10hp models...

1955 was the last year for the 3-pawl starters. 1956 was the first year for the single pawl starter. 1956 & 1957 10hp models shared the same belly pan on down as the 15/18. They also used a larger flywheel with the same recoil as the 15/18.

In 1958 when they went to the lighter weight 10hp model using the modified 5.5/7.5 lower unit (which is why the '62 prop wouldn't fit the earlier motors), they also went to a lighter weight flywheel with a smaller diameter. They changed the placement of the starter pawl closer to the center to accomodate the smaller flywheel. The recoil housing is the same as that used on the 18 - the pawl placement is the only difference (which is why the '62 recoil wouldn't fit the earlier motors).

- Scott