Water in the number 4 cylinder

newty120

Recruit
I have just bought a Johnson 115, I think 1985 motor from a guy in florida and I have water coming out of the bottom cylinder. I have re-routed the fuel to eliminate if there was water in the tank and replaced the head gasket and it is still leaking. The motor has excellant compression on it. Does anyone think of anything else it could be other than a cracked block? I am to the end of my rope and don't know what else to do. Can anyone help?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Water in the number 4 cylinder

exhaust bypass cover gaskets? not sure if thats the correct term.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Most likely other than the cylinder head gasket is that one of the exhaust gaskets has blown, although the inner exhaust covers sometimes burn through.

Do you have a water separating fuel filter in place?

Sometimes the #4 cylinder problem is caused by storing the motor tilted up so that the exhaust does not drain properly, then freezes.

newty120

Recruit

Yeah, the motor had set up for years in a garage. I am goiing to try changing the exhaust gasket and see if that stops it. Other than that I am pointing towards a cracked block, which is not good news. THanks for the advice.

newty120

Recruit

I do have a water seperator on it and tried another tank.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Did you drain and flush the float bowls?

jonesg

Admiral

Does it have a pee hose ?
The heat in FL can perish rubber hoses.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you say you have water coming out, I assume you mean that the water is leaking externally-not into the combustion chamber. If so, it is not a huge problem. I have seen a number of externally cracked blocks on the lower cylinder. They are on the outer part of the block, in the water jacket. This is not a critical area and is repairable. Blocks often crack in that area if they don't drain properly and are stored through a freezing winter. You can remove the powerhead from the midsection and have it welded by any shop that does aluminum welding. You do not need to disassemble the powerhead.