1972 evinrude 6 hp. Fuel problems. Have to pump primer bulb on fuel line

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice
Problem: My motor has a fuel delivery problem. It will die if i dont continuously pump the fuel primer bulb on the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump.

any ideas? thinking bad carb float? I will take off the fuel line to the carb and see if it pumps fuel.

Story: So i bought this motor the other day for $75. Guy who sold it to me said it was used on a pontoon 10 yrs ago and put straight into storage when he got a new motor (sounds bad).

so i went to check it out with a compression tester, screw driver, and wrench. right away it looked nice and clean and offered hope. until i produced some tools and asked if i could check some stuff out. he was very reluctant to do so. I pulled the plugs and the pulled the motor over, spun the prop in r/n/f. good sign. I then tested for spark nice and hot (spark plugs were clean). then i let out most of the lower unit oil into a cup. oil had seperated but had no metal in it. So i took it home. after the guy tried to raise his price once he realized it seemed like a good motor.

Drove home hoping the carbs were not clogged. put in new spark plugs and changed the lower unit oil. greased it up and hoped it would start!! drove to the local ramp and backed the boat in. Many times a motor has run and shifted fine at home in a barrel then under load has issues. so i decided to take my tools and go to the ramp. pulled it like 10 times. pulled out choke and it showed signs of life, put choke back in and advanced throttle. fire right up and spits out water like it should. Decided to give it a spin and it works great. only i have to pump fuel to it with the primer bulb on the fuel line from the gas tank. any ideas. also need a new impeller im sure.

but there is a fuel delivery problem as it will die if i dont continuously pump the fuel primer bulb on the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump.

any ideas? thinking bad carb float? I will take off the fuel line to the carb and see if it pumps fuel.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1972 evinrude 6 hp. Fuel problems. Have to pump primer bulb on fuel line

Rebuild the fuel pump.

http://epc.brp.com/ is the parts reference/catalog and it will show you the fuel pump ;)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Bad float and you'd have gas pouring out everywhere from the carb , if it isn't then fuel pump is likely the issue.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After setting that long I'm sure the fuel pump needs a rebuild

kbait

Commander

Fuel pump, pump filter clogged, or bad tank pick-up filter

Rick.

Captain

Your tank was vented? Sounds like a fuel pump but you should check to make sure your getting fuel to the pump as well. Screens at the pump and in the tank and no air getting in. Best of luck. Rick.