19'76 Evinrude 9.9 10655R--Crank Case Gasket

catalyst-519

Seaman
Hello Gentleman:

Back at this Evinrude 9.9 Model 10655R again after the last 2 summers of changing pretty much every part on the darn thing.

In my journey with this motor (wish I had started with this), I have now learned that the main Crank Case Seal is leaking and pulling air from both sides of the case (more on the right seal). As a result it's interfering with the vacuum system and the carb cannot pull enough gas on low speed to feed the cylinders.

I've been told by a mechanic that some guys have had some luck epoxying over the seal from the outside and avoiding a rebuild of the power head for a couple more summers.

Has anyone had experience with this? Any other solutions than ripping the head apart and replacing the seal?

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Cheers

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 19'76 Evinrude 9.9 10655R--Crank Case Gasket

You don't have to rip the engine apart. The upper crank seal can be replaced by pulling the flywheel , mag plate and points cam. The lower- pull the powerhead, the seal is located in the snout that the drive shaft goes into. Besides that there is no crank case seal, the crankcase halves are sealed by Gel Seal.

catalyst-519

Seaman

Right, Thanks:

It's the gel seal that seals the two halves together that's gone. This is what I'm looking to repair without having to pull the powerhead out.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Don't know of any other way that will last or work, where in Ontario are you? Suppose you could try epoxy but no guarantees.

catalyst-519

Seaman

Belleville. Would a Loctite 518 or Permatex work from the outside?

I've never pulled a powerhead, what am I looking at getting into when I do this for labour time? I've followed http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson 9.9_15.htm like a bible for this motor, but nothing in it about tearing apart a powerhead. Any suggestions?

--Thanks --519.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Powerhead is Super Easy to pull on these motors, - pull starter, fuel pump, airbox ,disconnect shift lockout, disconnect electronics. Undo 3 top motor mount bolts, 6 bolts under the lower cowl and the entire powerhead pulls up with the exhaust housing. To pull the crankcase halves- remove carb, intake bolts, reed plate, crank head and the crankcase bolts. The crankcase comes apart leaving the pistons in the block. Now's a great time to change upper and lower crank seal, inspect the water tube grommet. You'll need a powerhead to exhaust housing gasket and some gel seal. All in all around a 3-4 hours job.

You could try the loctite trick but I'm a fan on fixing things with as much effort as possible as it pays for itself. I completely reassembled my 15 after paint only find out it was wasn't running right, had to pull the powerhead AGAIN and take it apart, yes it sucked but by fixing it properly the benefits outweighed the "sucks" part. Plus you discover what else is messed up when you pull the powerhead, that grommet tube seal is notorious for being shot.

catalyst-519

Seaman

Well then, I'll give it a shot. You're right about doing it right the first time, I was just hoping there was an easier way around it.

So you also have to pull the magneto and plate right?

Do you recommend a book with pictures or an exploded diagram before attempting this, just so I make sure everything is back where it should be when reassembling?