2002 johnson overheating? or electrical?

bigbugin

Cadet
Hey im new to this forum and boating in general, and im having some motor issues now with my 02 johnson 90hp 2strk. The first issue I?m having is when I leave the motor running in neutral, it will slowly increase in rpms and eventually top out if I don?t cut the motor off. The cables are brand new and so is the binnacle. The second (and most upsetting) issue is , I recently went into the ocean and ran a mere mile to fish. After drifting around for about 20 mins, I went to the start the motor, and it wouldn?t start. It would turn over for a second and die out. After about an hour of waiting and trying again and again, I eventually had to get towed back in. But hen I got back to my house, the damn motor ran flawlessly like if nothing had happened. The hoses are new, gas was fresh, brand new rancor water fuel sep., new plugs, new filters?maybe electrical? I and no-one else I have talked to, has any clue what the problem may be. thanx

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 johnson overheating? or electrical?

All I can come up with...make sure throttle cable is returning throttle to idle stop position. Your motor has Quick start and if throttle is on it could have a hard time restarting as quick start will be turning on then off before motor has reached an operating temperature where it can idle on its own.
Wayne