Has spark and clean fuel, wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Has spark and clean fuel, wont start

Look in the Top Secret File ^^^ for troubleshooting a non-starting outboard.

Do you want to find out why it won't start or do you want to keep poking around and replacing stuff that ain't broke?

CATransplant

Admiral

Do you want to find out why it won't start or do you want to keep poking around and replacing stuff that ain't broke?

But...but...you're making too much sense, JB. Where's the fun in that? :D

CATransplant

Admiral

And if we ever find out a year, points/condensor versions of this motor 74-76 had magento slop issues from magneto wear which will screw everything up.

But...but...what does the year have to do with it, eh? I mean, it's a 15 hp. Aren't they all the same? Why won't it run right?...that's all the poster wants to know... :rolleyes:

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

sorry guys, i meant to put it in my last post, its a 1979. and i have read the top secret file and it helped alot but i did everything it said and she still wont idle or run with out dying. ive checked everythin including cleaning the carb several times, but i think the carb kit im ordering tonight will fix it. thanks guys

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ok so it's CD motor. I don't understand how the flywheel could be making contact with the plate. I've owned 4 of these motors, I have 3 in my garage and never has the flywheel hit the plate. Something is missing under the flywheel, armature support plate maybe??? Screw the wrong length, I do not know but it's wrong.

15ignition.jpg

You need to find out the missing link, no contact should happen. Dollars to donuts you find out the mag issue and it will run better.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i put the red arrows to show the tab things that were scared up and i took some pictures of the motor itself if you would like to see. they were gashed pretty well on the inside part facing the crank. And the blue circle is i the stator correct? where is that located because i think im overlooking it because i didnt see it or maybe didnt recognize it.

Attachments

• forum pic.jpg
    forum pic.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

also i dont know if this is relevant but i just remembered that the retainer link? the part that moves and pushes the throttle on the carb was loose and at about half throttle in neutral would move on its own and wouldnt move the throttle on the tiller... i dont know if thats normal or a serious problem, just figured i would let yall know since yall are the experts here and not me lol

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

the flywheel is a part of your ignition system and if its not exactly in the right place it will trow off the timing and will cause hard starting or even imposible to start/run.
check the timing when you have it running and i woul do a link and sync.

sorry to keep posting all these dumb questions but what is a link and sync and how do i do that? ill check the top secret forum

bktheking

Vice Admiral

yeah i put the red arrows to show the tab things that were scared up and i took some pictures of the motor itself if you would like to see. they were gashed pretty well on the inside part facing the crank. And the blue circle is i the stator correct? where is that located because i think im overlooking it because i didnt see it or maybe didnt recognize it.

Probably doesn't have a stator, electric start only.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Post pics of the flywheel, under the flywheel etc etc.

did you verify all the parts are there, I posted a diagram.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

here are some pictures of the bottom of the flywheel where something was hitting it i guess. then a close up of the pieces that were worn down and the motor with the flywheel removed

also i havent checked to see if the armature plate is still there but i will when i get out of school

Attachments

• evinrude1.jpg
    evinrude1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
  • evirude2.jpg
    evirude2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 6
  • evinrude3.jpg
    evinrude3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 6

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My guess would be that someone had the mag plate off and didn't get it back on right. There is a fibre ring that has to be compressed while installing the plate so it sits properly.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

yeah it had the power pack replaced last season that may have something to do with it. ill check it out now

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

sorry if this sounds dumb but the plate and the ring you were refrencing are the armature plate and bearing? thats just what i got from looking at a diagram

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

ok i tried today to remove it but couldnt get the screws off felt like they were about to strip. i think its from the flywheel being so loose it was wobbling on it. hopefully but thanks alot for your ideas and help bktheking

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help guys shes runnin like a champ now

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ok- but that doens't tell us what the issue was :D

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

:rolleyes: well im not 100% sure but i took the flywheel off and tightened it and took the metal shards out then it actually ran, kinda then i replaced the gasket between the carb and the manifold and she ran and idled down great.

Status
Not open for further replies.