Red Plug on side mount control

tallcanadian

Captain
Okay all you Johnny Rude experts. I seek your wisdom on a situation I have. This is a later in the year project but going to get what I need over the spring. I had a concealed side control with nothing more than a power trim button and wiring. That broke. I have a seperate ignition key. So I went on Ebay and was lucky enough to win an Evlinrude control with power trim plug, ignition, key. This has the red plug on the end. Now my dilema, I don't have anything to plug into on the engine side I have an '85 Johnson 45hp commercial outboard. I do have electric start on this but that's it. I've look on the BRP parts site but can't find said plug. I'm assuming I can get a plug and wire my starter in this to make this work. Now, you won't find any info on an 85 model, so I have to search the 1986 model parts. This is a Belgium model outboard. Any help is much appreciated.

Old control
100_2862.jpg

New control
100_2864.jpg

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Red Plug on side mount control

Wouldn't it be easier to cut the plug off the old control, cut the one off the new and solder the old one on the new? Maybe someone else knows. Wire the wires from the new control into the ones where the ignition key is connected?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like you need a remote electric start kit. I'm assuming there is no red plug at motor.
You may also require remote control adapter kit.
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Check BRP site under ob accessories for kits.
Other alternative may be to get what you need off of a scrap motor.
Wayne

tallcanadian

Captain

Wouldn't it be easier to cut the plug off the old control, cut the one off the new and solder the old one on the new? Maybe someone else knows. Wire the wires from the new control into the ones where the ignition key is connected?

The old control doesn't have a plug. The ignition is separate. But I never thought of joining the wires from the key to the red plug. Duh! on me. I wouldn't even have to run the red plug to the motor at all. Hmm. Thanks bk.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No worries- I would just wire it direct, cheap and dirty reliable if done right which I'm sure you will. Gotta make it there someday to kiss the cod.

tallcanadian

Captain

No worries- I would just wire it direct, cheap and dirty reliable if done right which I'm sure you will. Gotta make it there someday to kiss the cod.

LOL. For sure. And don't forget about the Screech. If the cod don't kill ya, the Screech will. Then we'll teach ya how to talk Newf. Stay where ya at 'till I come where ya to.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Been there done that with the Screech, I know the Fudges ya know, now you gonna say "go way b'y"

clanton

Rear Admiral

How was the orignal harness connected to the engine?

tallcanadian

Captain

How was the orignal harness connected to the engine?

The original control only has the trim harness. There was no wiring to hook up. I have a seperate key switch near my dash. That is wired to the various devices on my engine direct.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would cut the red plug off and wire direct to engine. You want the wire colors and wires ID in harness?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

id foregt all the wiring you have before.... the key as well.

the harness coming from the control you just bought, should hook right up to your motor!!!!

I have three of those side controls and two have red plugs for older motors and one has the pig tails for the newer motors...

you have an OLD control and an Old motor (pre 1996)

you should be golden

bob

clanton

Rear Admiral

Your harness should have 8 wires/ conductors.

Yellow/red stripe= Starter
Black = ground
purple = hot when key on
gray = Tach
Tan = sensor wire for alarm. control may have 1 of 2 different alarm horn depend on year of MFG, or if someone updated the control. this is not a problem if you only have over heat sensor, without the VRO.
Red/blue stripe = hot from battery with 20 amp fuse.
Black/orange stripe = kill wire to power pack.
Purple/orange stripe= Choke/primer

I think I have the stripe colors correct. If different repost , and I will look different book. I would leave a 6/12 inch pigtail on the red plug, may can use different project.

tallcanadian

Captain

Well guys, much appreciated. I'll have a look at this tomorrow. I knew I came to the right place for wisdom. Thank you again.