1980's 115 Evinrude runs perfect off hose but not in the water

tictocfree

Cadet
Im having a problem with my 1980 115 Evinrude, it runs great on the hose but when put in the water it almost wants to try to plain out but it bogs down to a slow idle. I tried to work the throttle back and forth but it does the same thing. When at full throttle it moves like at idle. Anyone out there might know what I should do? Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980's 115 Evinrude runs perfect off hose but not in the water

clean the carbs, link n sinc, possible bad fuel pump. does the motor rev up when in gear, and just go nowhere. that could be a spun prop. have you check compression and spark with testers?

Attachments

• spark tester.jpg
    spark tester.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
  • compression guage.jpg
    compression guage.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0

tictocfree

Cadet

the carbs are clean as a whistle i checked that screw on the bottom of each one and really clean. It has good gas when in gear it moves and wants to start to plain out but then boggs down again, im gonna do a compression test. One of my friends said it could be one of the coil packs so i need to check for spark on all four cylinders all the plugs look a little wet but for a 2 stroke isn't that fairly normal? i need to replace them all anyway. How much do the coil packs for these things usually run?

fattypackard

Seaman Apprentice

i got my coil packs off of here for about $20 per coil....

jonesg

Admiral

the carbs are clean as a whistle i checked that screw on the bottom of each one and really clean. It has good gas when in gear it moves and wants to start to plain out but then boggs down again, im gonna do a compression test. One of my friends said it could be one of the coil packs so i need to check for spark on all four cylinders all the plugs look a little wet but for a 2 stroke isn't that fairly normal? i need to replace them all anyway. How much do the coil packs for these things usually run?

Order carb kits, remove and dismantle carbs, remove jets, clean orifices with wire and spray cleaner, soak them if they're gunked up, reassemble with new parts and seals.

Check coils for cracks, use the spark gap tester pictured in Tash's post, get them at any auto store for cheap. Set gap to 716th inch, it should give a bright blue spark, all plugs out.

Get the service manual. Save yourself a lot of money and grief.:)
www.outboardbooks.com

tictocfree

Cadet

I checked all the coil packs and most are cracked so I ordered all new ones hopefully it solves the problem took the carbs totally apart and looked really clean cleaned all the orifices anyway the motor runs good but intermittently?? it just gives a little cough like the ignition is off (misfire) ill put those coil packs on and see what happens. How often do the timer bases go out on these things?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

An engine will sneeze somewhat-usually when the engine is cold during the initial start-up. Once warmed up it should not sneeze. A sneeze after warm up may indicate the idle passages in the carb bodies may be restricted and in need of cleaning. You haven't mentioned what the spark situation is on the engine. It's easy to use an inductive timing light to check spark when the engine is under load.