2hp Impeller Change...

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been checking the boards out for a while and hope someone can help...

I just picked up an '86 Evinrude 2hp and I need to change the impeller.

I've got the lower off and have taken out the two screws that seem to hold down the housing for the impeller, but it's stubborn and I'm afraid to force it and break it.

What is the best way to get this housing off? Is is normally installed with a sealant of some type?

Also, are there any good service manuals out there for it? I bought a Seloc that covers a wide range of years but it's just too general.

...thanks in advance for the help

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 2hp Impeller Change...

I dont see a 2 hp listed for 1986! Check the model number.

However just gently ease the water pump cover off once you have removed the screws. There is no need for any sealant to be sticking it down but there could be.

Be careful as replacements may not be in plentiful supply!

The best manuals are the OEM manuals produced by Ken Cook

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont see a 2 hp listed for 1986! Check the model number.

However just gently ease the water pump cover off once you have removed the screws. There is no need for any sealant to be sticking it down but there could be.

Be careful as replacements may not be in plentiful supply!

The best manuals are the OEM manuals produced by Ken Cook

It's listed as 1.2 sometimes. The model is JRCDR (1986).

Thanks for the link.

So, this cover should just lift up it seems but mine us pretty stuck. I've tried prying it with a screwdriver and it feels like I'm gonna break it.

Maybe running a razor knife around the edge would help.

Also, how much water should be coming out of the four exhaust ports?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm not familiar with the 1986, but it looks like it is the same as the older 2hp motors. If that is so, then the pump cover just sits flat on the gearcase and nothing should be holding it down. Unless as you suggest, somebody has glued it down with something. How about grabbing it with a pair of Channellocks and twisting it off? I dunno, just a thought.

The older 2hp motors only sprayed out a random mist. On mine, the water must have been running down the inside of the housing at slow speeds and didn't spray out at all till over 1/4 throttle. But it was in fact cooling. I expect yours is probably the same.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Got it . Also called "Junior". (That's what you'll find it as in Ken Cook's list)

Most of the cooling water leaves via the exhaust outlet. As F_R says the most you'll get from the relief ports its a mist or a few droplets.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess my impeller is working but I'll try to change it anyway

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be starting another thread or two since i'm a newbie to this world of outdrives

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I should ask, how many years between changes do normally go?

It's been about 8 years since this one has been changed and it seems to be running ok. I was going to do it, but if they have a life of 10 years or so maybe I'll wait.

Thanks.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

gilligan,unless you like being stranded(had to do it)change it.Your beyond its change.Many may disagree ,thats OK,I like to change them yearly,some do it at a 100 hr service.Im from Rockaway originally,and worked for a local guy back there ,we would do impeller,gear oil and ignition yearly,that also included a compression and spark check,in the old days ,points condenser and plugs.Unless you suck sand ,you might push it a couple years. Im in Fl.now ,and every yr is almost a must with year round use ,super salt water.it also helps illeviate stuck bolts.Change your gear oil too

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"super salt water". Yeah I noticed that. How come your water is so much nastier on motors down there? I'm in Sarasota on the Gulf coast, but yet......?