Stator function

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
What exactly does a stator do??? How would a bad stator affect a motor.Approx what would it cost to replace??? asking for a friend looking at a late 80s 6cyl Evinrude.Thanks Charlie

daselbee

Commander
Re: Stator function

Stator generates power to run the ignition system AND generates power to charge the battery.
Two separate functions. Depending on the year, I may have a used one that I will make you a great deal on. I will guarantee it. PM me if interested.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

To go further, it produces AC current, the rectifier converts AC to DC to charge the battery.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What exactly does a stator do??? How would a bad stator affect a motor.Approx what would it cost to replace??? asking for a friend looking at a late 80s 6cyl Evinrude.Thanks Charlie

Just wondering, does he know for a fact that the stator is bad? They are kind of troublefree. Don't waste money. Do proper troubleshooting first.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

He does not know for a fact that the stator is bad.He was told that it was.He said the motor was loosing power after he was planned off.He replaced plugs,wires,rebuilt carbs and now he was told the stator was the problem.Sound like a possibility??? What do they cost??Charlie

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Possibly but it needs to be tested along with the powerpacks, timerbase etc etc etc, throwing darts at the marine parts dartboard gets expensive.....the cost- a manual and a mutimeter with DV adapter as a starting point.

Stator's depending on the model can go up to $300+ dollars.