5.5 hp 1956 evinrude fuel hose conversion

Jack Mears

Seaman
I have a 56 5.5 Evinrude with the double hose/pressure tank required. Is there anyway to convert this motor to the single hose Evinrude/Johnson newer models?
The pressure tanks are more dear than gold on ebay as are the hose fittings.:
Thanks
Jack Mears
Concrete, Wa.

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 5.5 hp 1956 evinrude fuel hose conversion

Once you add the cost of parts and a new single line tank and hose you will find the pressure tank is cheaper. I don't recommend conversion, but its your motor. The procedure to convert is found on the following website. Ignore the warning info about pressure tanks being dangerous. They are no more dangerous than single line tanks.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Pressureized Fuel Tanks.htm

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Find a tank , post a webvertize ad @ AOMCI.ORG. This motor is a PITA to convert, 7.5 hp and up are much easier.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Poke around your local marinas - I'll bet they have a couple in a back room/attic that are taking up space. Throw in a rebuild kit that includes new hoses, primer diaphram and fitting o-rings and you're all set!

If you have an old outboard and want to make it a user, you must get familiar with the ins and outs of bushwhacking your local marinas. Show up with a box of donuts at coffee time (usually 10:00 am) and make friends with the guys in the shop - the guys with grease under their nails, not the guy in the pressed shirt at the front counter. The guys in the shop will know where the good stuff is. Might take a few years to develop a really good relationship, but it'll be worth it. Before he retired, my local marina owner pretty much trusted me to find what I needed on my own. I'd dig through the junk pile, present him with whatever I found/needed and he'd give me a number. It was usually about what I expected to pay, if not less. More than once he simply said take it, with no money changing hands.

- Scott

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Totally agree Scott, same thing here in town, i ask, they invite me back and sell the used parts for cash, no tax, way cheaper than new.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's not the tank that is dangerous, it' the poor qaulity double line hose available. If that hose break's, With the gas lid tight, you could have a boat with raw gas all over. Hopefully not in the garage, or beside the house. This can happen with a single line tank also, but the hose is much better quality. With a single line tank, and you run out of gas, anybody's tank will work. You can switch fitting'g at the tank if you have to. If that double line tank fail's, thats it. Nothing else will work.

Jack Mears

Seaman

Thanks for the replys guys!

I think that I'll stick that 51/2 in the corner and go back to the 140s.
The conversion does look like a pain and the cost of the pressure tank is a pain too.

Cheers

wbeaton

Commander

The pressure tank will cost about the same as a single line tank and hose. There is no reason you can't find a good used tank for $50. Place a free ad at the AOMCI.org website and someone will gladly sell you one at a reasonable price.

jimguy

Recruit

I have a 1955 CD 12 Johnson with the two hose system. the tank does not seem to build pressure and no fuel is being fed into the setteling bowl. where can i find a gasket kit to refurb the tank?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Call Doug at Vintage Outboard, 509-747-9960. He has rebuild kits for these older pressure tanks.:cool:

Their website hasn't been coming up in a while, so I hope he's still in business. I always liked the stuff I bought from him.