Lower unit removal.....when all else fails try something different

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice
I have been trying for many days now to remove my lower unit with absolutely no success.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384230

I can be patient.. After all, I am a BAND teacher, among other things, but I also don't want to miss the opener, so I decided to try another approach. I grew up on a farm, so sometimes there are solutions out there that are not as "conventional" as you might think.

I took a sawzall with a metal cutting blade and cut through the exhaust housing until I was halfway through the shaft. Then I rotated the shaft and cut the other half so I wouldn't have to go too far into the housing. I know an aircraft mechanic who welds aluminum and my dad is going to get that piece welded for me. It will be almost good as new.

As you can see, I welded on a shaft with a slide hammer. I also have started soaking the spline with PB directly. It is quite stiff, but much easier to work on this way. By the way, I found a shaft for $50, so after I get it off, I still got by cheaper than taking it to a dealer. I could have ended up paying $80 just to have them try and not be able to get it off.

The impeller looks somewhat worn, but the rubber is still malleable. I was really hoping it would be almost shot so I would feel better about all the work I am doing on it. I got the original manual today, so I am all set as soon as I get that shaft off.

Attachments

• 101_0376.jpg
    101_0376.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_0377.jpg
    101_0377.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_0378.jpg
    101_0378.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 101_0379.jpg
    101_0379.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower unit removal.....when all else fails try something different

WOW! That was a rough one indeed!

Make sure you anti-seize the top of the new shaft good so you dont have to go through that one again! Yeesh!

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

WOW! That was a rough one indeed!

Make sure you anti-seize the top of the new shaft good so you dont have to go through that one again! Yeesh!

Amen to that. The proper material will be put on the spline during assembly.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you have a good plan of attack!
I like the pictures, so be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Good Work!

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like you have a good plan of attack!
I like the pictures, so be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Good Work!

Wish I would have taken a picture of the exhaust housing. Didn't have to cut very much and it will look almost the same, except for the inspection hole on the side--which will be welded up, too.