1996 88 Spl missing at high rpm's won't go past 3krpm

Hello,
Newbie here just bought a 1975 Glastron with a 1996 evinrude 88 motor.
I took the boat out about three times and have problems once I try to go over 3000 rpm egine drops down to 2000 rpm and wont go back up unless i back of the throttle let it idle and then once idling smooth again can bring it back up to 3000 rpm will run like that off and on. If I try to go over 3000 rpm it will start rumbling and go back down to 2000 rpm. Compression checked out @ 120, 120, 118, 120 so I dont beleive that is the problem. I tried pumping the bulb when power goes down with no change. I thinking possibly electrical. Tried pulling plugs off when missing but it seems to jump on every plug I reconnect. Any ideas? Thanks

p.s. I noticed that left side of engine (fuel pump side) runs hotter than right side. I can put my hand on the right side of engine all day left side maybe 4 sec then getting toasty fingers. Doesn't over heat though.

D

DJ

Re: 1996 88 Spl missing at high rpm's won't go past 3krpm

Your engine has: "System Check". I believe.

Something is triggering a S.L.O.W. message. That's the engine not letting you kill it.

Your description of engine heat does not sound right. The two heads will differ in temp. but not that much.