Torque Specs for 54 Seahorse QD-15 10hp

solbok

Cadet
Hi,

I am looking for the torque specs for the head bolts on my motor. Also should I use locktite on them? Should the head gasket be lubed before installation? I assume I would tighten in a circular pattern starting in the middle, and working outwards.

Also, I found in another thread that the flywheel torque specs are 40-45 ft lbs or 480-540 inch lbs. (I think that was for a '59 motor though... I assume they would be the same).

I had a heck of a time getting the flywheel nut loose. I couldn't find a strap wrench that would fit the flywheel to hold it, and I was afraid to use the rope in the spark plug idea, because it might break the shaft. Anybody have any tips on holding the flywheel tight enough to be able to put that much torque on the nut?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torque Specs for 54 Seahorse QD-15 10hp

Head bolts are 96-120 inch pounds (8-10 foot pounds). Gasket sealant is preferred on teh bolts.

Flywheel torque is 40-45 foot pounds. Make your own strap wrench. All you need is a piece of 2x2 lumber and a piece of nylon strap. Heck, even an old belt in an emergency. Nail strap to the stick and you will have a better strap wrench than you can buy.

Attachments

• Strap Wrench.jpg
    Strap Wrench.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Strap Wrench2.jpg
    Strap Wrench2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0

solbok

Cadet

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

:)

I really appreciate the help!

Chris

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I use an old V belt from a car and hold it tight. It fits nicely in the groove. But I like the 2x2 and strap idea.