Operate a '66 Evinrude Lark with no generator??

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have done the water pump impeller job this weekend and while checking a few things on the engine, I found out that my generator is disconnected. No belt and no pulley on the generator!!:mad:

I've checked on Ebay, Iboats or any boat part online page and it's either NLA or way overprice.

I wonder, (it's a Selectric Shift) if it's necessary to have the generator running of if it's not? I have a deep cycle marine battery.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Operate a '66 Evinrude Lark with no generator??

gen. not necessary battery should last weeks if not months but keep it charged and you should have no issues
Wayne

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That selectric shift need's battery voltage to stay in gear. Lose voltage at full throttle would not be a good thing.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I've never had a functioning generator on any of my 40's, electric shift or not.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

True it will work ok without the generator. But be advised that the shift draws juice from the battery and when the battery get low, the clutch may slip, which causes disastrous wear to it. And as already pointed out, if the battery gets down to a certain point, you don't go anywhere.

Whatever floats your boat.

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've checked the voltage on the wires while removing the lower unit to change the impeller and a have 11.5V on both position, FWD and REV. 16 oh magnets?? Is that gonna cause the clutch to slip?

Anyways, it's good that I don't have to repair the gen, I don't want to spend a fortune on this old outboard just because of this fragile selectric shift gearcase. It breaks down, I change for a ''newer'' O.M.C outboard.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Shouldn't have to worry about slippage. If the battery has enough power to start the motor it should have enough to hold in gear for a long time as starter draws high amps and gearcase draw is quite small.
Buy the way no clutch it uses a magnet spring and hub
Wayne

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Put a small solar cell on the boat to keep the battery charged up. I have one on my pontonn boat (25 hp elec start, manual shift) and never have to charge the battery all season.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Shouldn't have to worry about slippage. If the battery has enough power to start the motor it should have enough to hold in gear for a long time as starter draws high amps and gearcase draw is quite small.
Buy the way no clutch it uses a magnet spring and hub
Wayne

Of course we all know that I was referring to the spring and hub when I said "clutch". Actually a re-invention of the neutral clutches used in much older motors such as TN Johnsons, Evinrude Fleetwins, Champions, Martins, and yes, the Automatic Transmision Mercury. Just activated by an electro magnet instead of mechanical means, that's all.

And I was suggesting running after the battery would no longer start it. Manual starter, y'know.

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

those belts are 61 bucks,i need one two,ive been taking two hot batteries out just to get everything tweeked and ready for the summer.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

those belts are 61 bucks,i need one two,ive been taking two hot batteries out just to get everything tweeked and ready for the summer.

I've run one of my previous twins (electric shift 40) 3 solid days camping on a deep cycle with no problems. At the time, I mostly ran at least two batteries; one for the motor and one for night fishing lighting. Three batteries and a lantern for shrimping. I'm back down to one deep cycle battery, since I have a manual shift and don't go out at night anymore.