Lower Unit Oil Leaking From This Hole...

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My lower unit oil is seeping from this hole located on the port side of the lower unit. I've noticed gear oil seeping from this hole when the engine sits up for about 2 weeks or so. I also notice the lower unit slowly accumulates water in the oil and I suspect it is entering from this hole. I do not know what this hole is for, but it appears maybe a plug was fitted into it at one time?:confused: The motor is a 1975 25HP Evinrude. Thanks for any insight, it is always appreciated:)
NewImage.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Lower Unit Oil Leaking From This Hole...

The parts diagram gives no clue. Both the gearcase drain and level plugs are the other side I believe.
It is probably to drain water from the leg.

You should not get gear oil leaking from the unit at all. If you are sure you have gear oil leaking from there then you must have a seal gone. Most probably the drive shaft seal but possibly the shift rod seal. That would also explain the water ingress into the gearcase

read the item on the Engine FAQs board on "Oil leaking around the lower unit"
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lower Unit Oil Leaking From This Hole...

Thanks Vic for the quick reply. I've searched parts schematics, OMC service manual, and the forum and can't come up with anything. Recently, I changed every seal in the gearcase and also resealed it. I'm wondering if some sort of freeze plug went there from the casting process? I may have to stop at the boat junkyard and see what other units look like.