Johnson Fastrac PTT Removal Questions

Hap123

Cadet
I am removing my Fastrac Power Trim Unit for overhaul/replacement. I have it loose on the stern bracket, all that is left to do is un-string the wiring harness. The wiring is mostly disconnected at this point, but I have 2 hangups:

1. The manual says that after disconnecting the Trim Motor Connector (green & blue wires) in the engine compartment, I need to extract the pins from the lower half of the connector, to be able to pull those wires out through the lower engine housing. The manual says I need an extractor tool to do this. I have probed around inside that connector with a jeweler's screwdriver to see if I could find a pin release dentent , but no luck. What is the trick to this?

2. After I get the above done, I need to pull the PTT wiring harness (3 cables in a wire mesh sleeve) out through the bottom engine housing. There is a rubber seal/grommet that I need to remove in order to pull these wires. It is located on the bottom port side of the housing, just forward of center. I've tried to work it loose with no success. I can't get a good look at it, and I can't find it in the parts breakout in the manual. How do I get it loose?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Fastrac PTT Removal Questions

If you motor is like my '98 Johnny, there is a tang on each wire at the base of the connector. A small screwdriver can push them in to allow the wire to come free of the connector.

I cannot answer your next question. My motor has only a two wire trim motor, and twin relays. Sorry

Hap123

Cadet
Re: Johnson Fastrac PTT Removal Questions

Thanks for the response, Chris

I should have mentioned that this is on a 2000 150hp motor. This particular connector is basically a plastic housing that locks in two standard flat crimp-on connectors, I was looking for a tang as you described, but couldn't find it. The SELOC manual says to use a "small bladed terminal removal tool". I guess I can go to my local shop and find out what that looks like. On my second problem, I was able to get a better look at the area where these wires exit the lower engine housing. It appears to be an angled (or improperly installed) rubber plug with the (7) wires for all 3 cables individually routed through it. It is apparently supposed to seal the lower motor housing from water intrusion, but I can see daylight through it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't installed correctly. Either way I can't budge it by hand.

If I have to, I'll just return everything under the engine cover back the way it was, and cut the trim motor wires (blue & green) about halfway up the external wiring harness. I can reconnect them to the trim motor later with waterproof bullet connectors and waterproof shrink tubing.