water problem

Emory

Cadet
Is there anyway to back flush a 1986 Johnson 50HP. had a Lower Unit problem had to install another one so I put a new water pump on it while it was out.
When I fired it up with the muff on it with the water hose the pee hole scooted out a good stream for about a30 second's then it quit. The pee hose is clear back to the engine and I rechecked the water pump and the little key and all is good. I am thinking that something got pumped up into the engine and stopped the water from flowing. Is there anyway to back flush the engine with air or water, and if so where would I do it at?

fireman57

Captain
Re: water problem

Does it overheat? Sometimes on muffs the telltale doesn't seem to work as well for me as a trash can full of water. If it is not overheating then I would try it in water first. If you want to backflush it you can take the side cover off which exposes most of your cooling ports. Take the lower unit off and hook a hose to your water pipe. Make sure you remove your thermostat before you do this. Turn the water on and see what comes out. You can also take some stiff wire and run them in the water jackets from the side and see if it moves anything.

Emory

Cadet

Does it overheat? Sometimes on muffs the telltale doesn't seem to work as well for me as a trash can full of water. If it is not overheating then I would try it in water first. If you want to backflush it you can take the side cover off which exposes most of your cooling ports. Take the lower unit off and hook a hose to your water pipe. Make sure you remove your thermostat before you do this. Turn the water on and see what comes out. You can also take some stiff wire and run them in the water jackets from the side and see if it moves anything.

Thank You, Fireman57
That is what I was thinking Taking the lower unit off and squirt some water back up into the motor and see if there any blockage. But I am a little confused about the Thermostat.
where is it at??
Is it under the Head??? (I heard that somewhere)
Side cover is the the cover where the pee hose connected to?
I am a good auto Mechanic but I am a novice when it comes to outboards.
Thank you for your help.

fireman57

Captain

Your tstat, if I remember correctly, is under and off a little to the side of you cylinder on the back of the motor. The side plate is the flat one on the starter side of the engine. Has like six or eight bolts holding it on. Get a new gasket for it too because the other one will probably peel off in a couple pieces. When you take out the tstat pay attention to how the spring and stuff is placed.

Emory

Cadet

Thank's
Will work on that in the morning. will post my results

Emory

Cadet

If I finish taking this side plate off to check and see why water is not coming out of my pee hose is there gonna be anything to jump out at me like spring's and Crap. Still dont know how I am gonna get the 2 bottom bolts out they are against the cover housing, unless i drill 2 holes down there so I can get the 7/16 socket in there. The pee Hose is connected to this cover close to the bottom when I blow into the Pee Hose it sounds like the air is just running around behind the cover. Let me know if anything is gonna jump out from behind this cover.

Attachments

• sideplate.jpg
    sideplate.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0

fireman57

Captain

Nothing jumps out there. Those two pesky bolts are done with an open end wrench and time. You can drop that housing if you want. It is a few bolts that are easily seen except for the one under your throttle linkage. You have four that are on rubber mounts to stop the vibrations and the others hold the housing to the midsection. The only thing that might jump is the tstat and you will probably have to pull it out. There is a spring on it but it won't jump out and put your eye out.

Emory

Cadet

Thank's, Fireman
I got all the bolts out except the (2) on the bottom this evening so I thought that I would wait till I could hear from you because like I said in the beganning I am a good auto Mechanic but I do not no nothing about outboard's. Did you read the part where I said that I could blow in the rubber Pee Hose and hear air running around behind that plate? something might be loose in there.
I still have not found the T'stat I am gonna take a picture of the head and let you look at it and maybe you can direct me from there.

fireman57

Captain

You should be able to blow air through there because the water has to be pumped up there to circulate. That is why it takes a little time before you see water out of the telltale. There might be something that slows water down but air will go through the smallest of holes with ease. If you look you will see the bolts I am talking about. If I remember correctly the cowling and engine mount bolts are 3/8" socket.
the cowling will drop down about and inch or two and move a little side by side and you can get the bottom two bolts out.