RDS - 22c impeller replacement?

J.E.B.

Recruit
I have recently purchased a boat motor and trailer for the challenge of getting it running. I know the motor is a 1960 super seahorse 40, but not sure what the "c" is for in the model#. I only have $25 cash in the boat and a few hours of cleaning. I have checked the motor out and have followed some of the othe post on here. Here is what I know thus far. The motor runs like a top on the first pull or the turn of the key, but there is no water squirting out the back of the engine. I figure I need an impeller, but I have never done this. 1 how hard is it, 2 where is it, and 3 what parts do I need? I looked on Siera's site and found a list of parts, but no kit. Thanks for your help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: RDS - 22c impeller replacement?

Starting at the bottom, you have the propeller. Above that, you have the flat cavitation plate. Above that you have a bulge. The pump is in that bulge. To get at it, you need to remove the lower unit at that point.

You have to first remove the rear cover from the midsection. Then you have to remove the diamond shaped plate from the side, and the second plate behind that. Inside, you will find the shift rod connector. Remove the lower screw from it. Then unbolt and pull off the lower unit. The water pump will be looking at you.

For only $25 bucks invested, you can afford a service manual. The Seloc #1300 sold here at iboats will serve you just fine. My explaination here left out a whole bunch of details. You are almost sure to mess it up without more knowledge.