Throttle catching under pull rope

Reifwj

Seaman
Ok, I'm going to try and explain this cause the pictures aren't turning out. When I push the throttle forward, it goes nice and smooth unitl about 3/4 the way forward. At this point it starts to bind. If I continue to apply pressure, it will give and I can see the cables under the pull rope jump all of a sudden and then it operates the last 1/4 smoth like the rest. There appears to be a black looking disk that seems to be what is jumping. So here is what I'm thinking it could be:
1. Internal throttle issue in throttle control unit
2. I'm pushing it past the throttle stop on the motor or throttle control unit
3. It's catching on something under the pull rope
4. It's that way by design.

I honestly don't think it's 1 or 4. 1. works fine other wise, and 4 just doesn't make sense. I don't see it hitting anything under the pull rope. It doesn't jump as bad throttling back down. Does anyone have any Ideas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle catching under pull rope

Well, your description certainly presents a challenge. First, can we assume you are talking about a 1964 Johnson 40hp??? Second question: Is it Electromatic or manual shift? Third question: Is it running or not running when all this is happening? Fourth question: If manual shift, and not running, is it in forward gear?

My wild guess is that it is a manual shift, not running, in neutral or reverse, and you are trying to cram the throttle beyond the interlock limiter. Did I come close at all?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I was going to say the linkage isn't adjusted right, but ya the post is scattered.

Reifwj

Seaman

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a scatter post. I'm not sure what you need to know to answer the question. Yes it is the 40Hp Seahorse manual shift. Yes it is in Neutral and not running. I lubed and greased everything and was just wroking all the moving parts around afterwards. Is this something that is expected in neutral to prevent over reving the motor in neutral? YOUR GOOD.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yes shift it to forward you may have to rotate the prop a little to shift.
Then try the throttle.

Reifwj

Seaman

I feel stupid, but I guess that's what I get for trying learn something new. Better stupid than expensive.:)