1976 Johnson 35, dead cylinder, please help an Airman!!!

HELP!!! i bought a 1976 Johnson 35 and was told it was fine. It runs great on land and no more than 2300 rpms in water. I'm getting fire to both cylinders, my plugs are new and gapped properly. I believe my compression is good. Only the bottom cylinder will run. Sometimes the top cylinder will sputter a little. Also, its using large amounts of fuel, which seems to be spilling out of the choke. The previous owner told me the head gasket was recently replaced. Any suggestions? im not rich, nor am i an expert at outboard repair! This shoud be either a clogged carb or stuck float affecting fuel to the cylinder or a head gasket, right? I greatly appreciate any advice!

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1976 Johnson 35, dead cylinder, please help an Airman!!!

Can you run an accurate compression test on both cylinders? That would be a good starting place. Run the test and post the numbers. I'm not sure what "I believe the compression is good" means.

Re: 1976 Johnson 35, dead cylinder, please help an Airman!!!

140 on top, right at 150 on bottom. sorry about not posting the numbers, i figured it was good since they were within 10%

Stephen1348

Cadet
You ain't the only one man my top cylinder is dead to on my 25 tore apart all looks great not even a lip on the cylinders all new gaskets and still dead and found water is getting in top cylinder from where I have no clue. Is your top plug clean?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You ain't the only one man my top cylinder is dead to on my 25 tore apart all looks great not even a lip on the cylinders all new gaskets and still dead and found water is getting in top cylinder from where I have no clue. Is your top plug clean?

Read the Help Tip on top of the page, then start your own topic. Thanks.