1992 Evinrude 25 Alarm/Buzzer

mlackore

Cadet
I have an early 90's Evinrude 25, long shaft in the shop for service. This unit came on a Northwoods Pontoon purchased in 1992. The owner claims an alarm/buzzer is intermittently going off. It's a constant tone and it goes off on various occasions. It even went off one night while the boat was tied to the dock and not running (key must have been left on). This is a pre-mix motor so it can't be the oil pump. Sometimes it goes off right as she turns on the key, other times while it's running and as I mentioned, sometimes when the motor isn't even running. This motor has not seen any routine service since 1992 beside plugs. I am thinking it's time for a water pump but I thought I would ask the question so I can cover all of my bases and get it done right the first time. Thoughts?

D

DJ

Re: 1992 Evinrude 25 Alarm/Buzzer

The water pump is always a good idea.

However, the "going off tied to the dock" is a bit troubling. I'd be looking for a short somewhere.

By the way, the constant buzz/beep is the indicator for an overheat. On a pontoon, you may cavitate the prop to a point where you lose water pressure. Even more reason to service the pump.

mlackore

Cadet
Re: 1992 Evinrude 25 Alarm/Buzzer

I had to ask her a few more questions. Here is a bit more information. The buzzer is coming from the control console and not the motor unless this is where the alarms come from for Evinrude...I am a newbie, forgive my ignorance. It is a constant tone and comes on immediately as you turn the key to start the motor but stops as soon as the motor is put into gear. It also comes on when both the engine and key are off so I am thinking it's a short probably in the key switch. Is there a low battery buzzer?