Help with fuel connector (male end) 9.5

spunkyjr

Seaman
I have a 1964 model 9.5 that has the male end of the fuel connector pressed into the body of the handle, actually on the side and back some. The fuel line hose connector will not seat completely and lets air into the fuel line causing rough running. If I hold the fuel line down with my finger it's runs alright. I ran the fuel line from the tank straight to the carb and the motor ran fine.

How do I go about removing the old male connector and replacing with a new one? If it is really a hard job I'll just by bypass the connector and run a straight line from the fuel line to the carb and by pass the male connector.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with fuel connector (male end) 9.5

It should be bolted to the handle from underneath. The hose should have a clamp thats probably crimped on and not readily reusable. Just remove the bolt and the clamp and replace with a new connector and a SS hose clamp.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure it's the male connector that's giving you problems. The female connector is a more likely culprit. Have you tried a different female connector?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

379163 bracket and fuel connector assembly includes the following available separately parts:

303597 nipple
303603 guide pin

I'm not sure if they screw in or are pressed in. Can't say I've ever removed any.

I agree, I doubt that is the trouble though. A new female connector should fix it up. Make sure you get an OMC one. Yamaha looks the same but won't work.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's not the male connector that is the issue, my 65 9.5 would do this. The cheap walmart lines with the chinese knockoff connectors don't seal properly because the locking part of the connector stops against the lower cowl. Go get yourself the proper OMC female connector from BRP and change it out, they fit properly and don't leak a drop.

spunkyjr

Seaman

No, it is the male connector that's bad and they are pressed in not like the newer Johnson versions that just clip on. I'll try the OMc connector Bk and try it and see what happens. I've replaced the female connector twice with 2 different brands and it didn't help. If the new connector doesn't rectify the problem I'll get the nipples and try drilling the old one's out and seat the new one.

kbait

Commander

I had to tweak the tab that locks the connector in place on a 9.5. Just bent it in a little, and it effectively made the connection tighter. You cannot remove the engine side connector, but I suppose you could file around it to make more space if the tab/lock adjustment doesn't work. You may have to tweak that tab on an omc coupler too. Good luck!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I spoke too soon about the connnector being bolted from the bottom. I just went out to the boathouse and looked at my 9.5. Now I see what you mean by "pressed in".

The connector is attached to the cover that holds the tiller handle in place. Inside the lower engine shroud there are 2 bolts that fasten that cover in place. Why don't you pull that cover off? Once you have access to the back side you can see how it attaches. If it is truly pressed in, just tap it out and replace it.