Torque sequence of a 1967 6hp Evinrude cylinder head

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Hey, does anyone have information on the proper sequence of torquing a 1967 6hp Evinrude cylinder head? (which bolts do start off with and which tighten last?)
My lovely wife did some cleaning up in the garage and now I can't find my Evinrude factory service manual for that motor and the Seloc manual I have does not mention the proper sequence just the torque range.

Any help would be great!

cajuncook1

Rick.

Captain
Re: Torque sequence of a 1967 6hp Evinrude cylinder head

Start at the middle right and go across then up and keep going clockwise until finished. I always start with about 1/2 the torque and finish with a second pass. Best of luck. Rick.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Start at the middle right and go across then up and keep going clockwise until finished. I always start with about 1/2 the torque and finish with a second pass. Best of luck. Rick.

Thanks Rick!!!:)

cajuncook1

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The figure, below, is for a 1974 Johnson 6hp cylinder head. As Rick indicated, its just a clockwise circular pattern, starting at the middle, right of the head. This same pattern is used for torquing outboard cylinder heads, in general.

Once you have run the engine for the first time after reinstalling the head, let it cool and retorque the head once more.

6hpTorqueSequence.jpg

???

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

The figure, below, is for a 1974 Johnson 6hp cylinder head. As Rick indicated, its just a clockwise circular pattern, starting at the middle, right of the head. This same pattern is used for torquing outboard cylinder heads, in general.

Once you have run the engine for the first time, after reinstalling the head, let it cool and retorque the head once more.

6hpTorqueSequence.jpg

???

Outstanding Jay!!! Thanks!!

In the words of Confucius Boudreaux "May your gumbo pot never go empty!!" :D

cajuncook1