Primer Solenoid 1998 90hp Evinrude

Lindanel

Cadet
I am having difficulties with warm starts. I have tested the solenoid, appears to be working but sometimes when it is warm it requires a manual prime. Its almost as it I am getting some kind of vapor lock and when it is manually primed it clears it.

I was thinking maybe it was time for a carb rebuild?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Primer Solenoid 1998 90hp Evinrude

Try advancing the throttle instead of choking the motor. Use the throttle only button, if you have one, and let her run a couple of minutes, and see if that is better. Also, that motor should have a QuickStart mode where the motor will run fast for a few seconds whenever (hot or cold) it is started. You might watch the tach to see if this feature is working.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree, you should only need to use the prime solenoid when the engine is cold. if you have to prime the fuel line bulb, you have an air leak in a fuel line.

Lindanel

Cadet

thanks for the responses, I will give it a try and let you know. Should have the boat in the water in a few weeks.

Lindanel

Cadet

I was able to fix this, appears to have been a fuel line air leak. Changed all my hoses, connectors, and ball. Starts right up with a bit of throttle. Thanks for you suggestions.