water in bottom cylinder super seahorse 35hp

jhromeli

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone I am trying to restore and old Johnson Super Sea Horse a RSD21 I think is a 1959, my main problem refers to water in the bottom cylinder I already change the head gasket 2 times , with no luck, the compression test is around 100 PSI each cylinder. When I run the motor in the tank it runs ok a little rough but ok, the water in the tank after 10 minutes working is all oily, I have been reading a lot about this problem but I still cant find the solution, I don?t want pull out again the head , if I am not totally sure.
The water in the spark plug looks milky
. I have a great blue spark in both cylinders.
I read in one post about the exhaust system could it be?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: water in bottom cylinder super seahorse 35hp

Inner Exhaust cover (#53) or gaskets (#52). I HATE taking that cover off. 15 bolts and I always break some.

37780900005im.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, if the gaskets are bad, it would leak out the side of the cover. I'm willing to bet that there is a small hole eaten through the inner plate, from corrosion. I seen an older 7.5hp that had this issue before and that is what I ended up replacing to fix the problem. The funniest part of it is, it drove the marina mechanics nuts trying to fix it and they sold it to me cheap.:D

So look over part #53 really good and make sure there are no pin holes in it. That is one part that should have been made out of stainless.

jhromeli

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the quick response, today , i am going to work on this , i hope , this will be the end of this problem, can anyone explain me how this plate works, how the water gets in
Thanks a lot

jhromeli

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone fot the information, tX1961 was totaly right i found a hole in the plate 53, now I am going to try to fix it weld or epoxic, I will first try the plastic epoxy. and yes I Broke three bolts they were rusted, I am going to take it out tomorrow.

Thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thanks everyone fot the information, tX1961 was totaly right i found a hole in the plate 53, now I am going to try to fix it weld or epoxic, I will first try the plastic epoxy. and yes I Broke three bolts they were rusted, I am going to take it out tomorrow.

Thanks

I broke 4 or 5 last time. :mad:
Do a good job repairing it; as you can see the pistons are right there and it's very hot.
Is your plate aluminum or stainless? I can't remember when they switched. My 1969 40 hp is stainless....

jhromeli

Seaman Apprentice

Stainless.
I dont want to send it to weld becuase the heat , can deformate the plate, so i will try first plastic epoxy.
I will update.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Thanks

No, it wasn't tx1961 whaler that told you about pinholes. It was me.:D He only showed you a diagram and told you how much much he hates taking that cover off without breaking bolts off. I was also saying that those idiots that manufactured the damned things should have made them out of stainless, instead of .050 aluminum, because any amount of salt water use would eat those things alive and cause this problem. Oh well.....OMC made a great motor, but they aren't perfect.;)

Don't attempt to fix it. Replace it. Repairing it will possibly fail again.

jhromeli

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks every one , yesterday I ran the motor , and it works good, no water in the bottom , no leaking in the cover, I guess , it works the repair.
Another question, how much water , should i get in the pee hole, ia have a constant mist , and when it gets hot i get more water, but it is not like a 1/2 hose garden ,