Shift Forward - Squeaked - Died

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice
Ok.. I have an 85hp 1974 Johnson Outboard.

I pulled her out of the garage yesterday to get it up and running.
(just got this boat before winter, never had it running till today)

Cleaned and rebuilt the carburetors, and replaced the stator. (as a mechanic told me it was the stator that was causing the spark plugs to fowl. fowledge reported by previous owner.)

OK, so after about 5 min of cranking the motor woke up and idled for about 15min. (I have it on muffs)

So after 15min on idle I decide to shift and give it a little gas. First I put it in reverse gave it a little gas then put it back in neutral. (as the engine seem to bog a little) (span of about 5 sec) Then i shifted it into drive, heard some squeaking and then the engine died.

OK.. problem one. The starter gear at the top seemed to come loose.. (as when i went to restart the engine it appeared to just spin... So i re-tightened that down and started cranking again. Got it to spit a few times, then the bat started to die, so it's back on the charger...

Why did it squeak and why did it die, and why did it not just start back up.

1) checked plugs, they seemed ok.
2) I ran it without the carb cover on it and noticed it pooling black/gas/oily stuff.

You guys are great, thanks for any help.

D

DJ

Re: Shift Forward - Squeaked - Died

How is the lower unit lube?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There is a hose running from the bottom of the intake manifold to the air silencer cover.With the cover off, the excess fuel mix will run out. There will be more of it when running the motor with no load.

Did you use a reliable torque wrench when you replaced the flywheel?

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice

Ok... there is lube :)
Torq wrench... No torq wrench used... just brute force with large wrench.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You probably broke your flywheel key. It is necessary to use a torque wrench; 105 Foot pounds.

Be sure to use a OEM replacement key, the timing depends on it.

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice

ezeke sir you are the man...

Key was cleared right off... flat on the flywheel. So I'll get this new key. (can you point towards a link to buy?)

I notice on the shaft the flywheel sits on there is a groove, I take it the flywheel key is suppose to sit in this groove?

Anything else I should look for? Is this probably the whole reason the engine made the squeak and died when put into drive gear?

Thanks
Mike Wolfe

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your local yocal marine dealor should have a flywheel key in stock. If not, take your old one to Napa and get a replacement. I've bought several there in the past and they worked out fine. Just make sure you get the same thickness and height.

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, got the key from the dealer. Receipt says 0307480.

But when i compare it to the two pieces I pulled out of the taper and the wheel, it seems smaller (by about 15%)

Picked up the torque wrench as well, but before I go plugging this thing back together, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna damage it by putting in a bad key. (may of had the wrong key originally?)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's the correct part number. The curved side goes in first, with the straight line outside and parallel to the center line of the drive shaft.

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice

Ok now I?m confused.

if I look at the shaft, there is an indentation for the key. (I?m guessing)
If I look at the fly wheel there is an indentation for the key.

One is curved (like a half moon), one is straight.

So if I?m going to put this key in, do I put it in the flywheel and then slide the flywheel on, or do I put it in the shaft, then slide the flywheel on, lining up the key to the slot in the wheel?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Put it in the crankshaft, curved side inward; straight side parallel to the center line of the shaft.

Then place the flywheel over it, lining up the keyway in the flywheel as you do.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Put it in the shaft and tap in carefully without flaring the key. Brass hammer or punch usually is good for that.

Strange thing is I have never heard of shearing one just by putting into gear.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's usually starting that breaks the flywheel key when the flywheel is not torqued to specifications.

Instructions are in the thumbnail. I don't normally use sealer on the threads, but others do.

Attachments

• V4 Flywheel Installation.jpg
    V4 Flywheel Installation.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

evinrudehelpplease

Seaman Apprentice

No package, he just handed me the key.

3.90 was the price I paid for it. plus uncle sam.

The key had a small ding/dint on the moon side, very minor at the top.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Show the picture to Joe Reeves or Faztbullet and see what they think; you might have to send a PM.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Ezeke the key dont look quite right, I would try a different one. Also I would "lap" the flywheel/crankshaft before reinstalling key to ensure maximum contact and torque to spec's. What does keyway slot look like on the flywheel??

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Ahem.
The "original" key might actually be a Home Depot special......