Snapped a bolt installing lower unit. Now what?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1972 65HP evinrude-- The rearmost bolt snapped when I was tightening it installing the LU. It's the bolt that goes in underneath the trim tab.

Am I OK with the remaining bolts? I made sure the big bolt that goes in just in front of the trim tab was nice and tight. If I periodically check the remaining bolts after taking the boat out, to make sure they're staying tight will I be OK or am I going to have problems??

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Snapped a bolt installing lower unit. Now what?

Drill it and get an ez -out...........put in a new bolt..............Happy Easter!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drill it and get an ez -out...........put in a new bolt..............Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to you too Camo Joe. Guess I will try that. But in the meantime, what's anybody's opinion-- can I take the boat out and run the motor without the LU falling off? I want to try out the new lu I put on and see if it shifts properly under power.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You would probably be alright, but why take a chance on creating more damage? Its a tedious proccess to remove a snapped off bolt, but I would want to protect my investment.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Please don't use an EZ-out. Chances are that it will snap off in there, then you'll have big problems. If there is a stub, get on it with a pair of vise-grips. Heat helps. If there isn't, then drill it out . A left-twist bit will usually spin it out once it gets to a thin shell.

You can take your chances running it with the remaining bolts. It won't fall off, but I wouldn't do it for long. They put that bolt there for a reason.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to follow up, when I got the LU off there was about 1/4" of bolt sticking out to work with, so I got it out with vice grips + heat. The threads were messed up though, so I took it to the auto shop down the street and they put a helicoil in.

Now my wallet's $91.00 lighter :(

But once I get the LU back on I'm finally ready for the water! :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

$91 is cheap compared to what that lower unit was going to cost you when it fell of in 50 feet of water. They never fall off at dockside in three feet.

6hpboat

Banned

You can mig weld a dab on the tip and try vise gripping it off.... I did that a few times.

The heat from the weld will loosen threads... but just a small weld.