1981 25 hp Johnson help.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice
This winter was the first time digging around on my 1981 Johnson 25 hp motor. Never worked on a 2 stroke before so this was all new to me. I took the pull cord assembly off the top of it, pulled the carb off, changed a crusty fuel line, installed a new water pump, fixed a broken bracket, and basically looked around and tried to learn something new. Today was the first day I got out to start it. Filled a garbage can up and started it up. Choked it, pulled a few times and it started. Had a nice water stream going, so the water pump is working.
There seems to be a little water spraying out of the exhaust. Is it normal to have water spraying out of the exhaust? It runs a little rough and chugs. MIght be bad gas. Also the pull cord recoiled really slow a couple of times and make a wierd noise as it recoiled...kind of a humming noise as the cord went back in.
Any ideas if I may have put something back together wrong? I've never had the cord go back in like that. Thanks!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1981 25 hp Johnson help.

Its better if you go all through it.
Compression test, spark test and rebuild carbs with carb kit/s.
Drain old fuel out and run it through your truck or whatever.
Check/change gear oil. Use new seals on drain screws.

jasper60103

Commander

I have the same motor. Congrats on under taking your first two stroke. Yes, the misting out the back of the leg is normal.
Also, you really didn't need to remove the rope starter to take off the carb. Just remove the air silencer box next time.
Anyway, don't feel bad. Someone will chime in on how to fix it.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

I don't understand why the cord would recoil slowly and make a humming noise as it's going back in. It's never done that before, and I've had the motor for three years now.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

I went out and screwed around with it some more. Ran some of the winter out of it. It seems to be running good now, idles great.
It did sound like there was a quick grinding noise one of the times I yanked the chord. I'm wondering if I put something back wrong on the pull chord?? Not sure if that's possible...lol.

Also found a fuel leak coming from the top of the motor. May have to look into that.