1975 50hp Evinrude, can't remove powerhead/exhaust housing

aspurbeck

Cadet
I have a 1975 50hp Evinrude Model# 50573b.

I can't remove the powerhead or may also be called "exhaust housing". It's part #56 on this link: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1975/50573B%201975/EXHAUST%20HOUSING/parts.html#

I've removed the engine block with powerhead from lower unit & exhaust housing entirely. It's sitting on my bench.

I even found the one nut 1/2" (i think) from the bolt centered at the back of the powerhead.

I'm assuming there are no other bolts and that this thing may have been repaired previously with gasket and sealer maybe? I've pounded on the powerhead with some force (2x4 & hammer) and tried with a chisel but afraid to hit to hard wondering if there's something else keeping this thing attached to the engine block?

Thanks in advance for the help! -Andy

Attachments

• P1050318b.JPG
    P1050318b.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1050319b.JPG
    P1050319b.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
D

DJ

Re: 1975 50hp Evinrude, can't remove powerhead/exhaust housing

Did you get bolt #24 out?

You have a PM.

aspurbeck

Cadet

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm thinking it's just stuck, rubber mallot would be handy tool, tapping a wooden wedge in between somewhere mignt be the ticket.

D

DJ

I'm thinking it's just stuck, rubber mallot would be handy tool, tapping a wooden wedge in between somewhere mignt be the ticket.

Agreed. I figured out what you were doing by your last diagram.

You have a PM (private message).

aspurbeck

Cadet

You guys were right on! Just needed a little more courage to motivate the thing. I used a pry bar in the right place to help it along.

It's when I use my hands and didn't have a complete hold of it when it went flying of the bench but I think we're still in good shape.

Really appreciate the help as I searched the entire site and just couldn't find the answer here and you guys had the answer.

Thanks again and hopefully after every gasket I can find is replace now I won't have any more water in the cylinders!

Have a great weekend and happy boating! -Andrew