68 55hp evinrude problems

Blackstorm

Cadet
Took boat out yesteday and had some problems with the motor
Info that I know
1968 3 cyl evinrude 55 hp
Started in the drive way fine with mufff on ran for 5 minutes and idled fine and rev up ok.
Took boat to a local lake again started fine and ran for 3-5 minutes then it stalled per my wife, had to park car and trailer when I came back was able to restart no problem.
when leaving ramp no problem in forward or reverse and it powered up fine.

ran for say 5 minutes at 1/2 throttle going down the shore and then it just stopped. after a minute or so I could restart and it appeared fine but I started to head back to ramp at a slower speed.
It stalled again only this time it appears that it overheated but the alarm light did not come on. But the motor turned over much slower than normal. waited 1/2 hour and the motor would spin at normal speed but still not start.

when I got it home say and hour after paddling back to the dock it started again as if there was no problem.

This kinda of happened when I duck hunted out of the boat in January so I replaced fuel line and tank and bought all new gas this week. Spark seems good on all three cyl and it seems to have gas.

I am stumped on 2 cyl engines but know my way around 4cyl. I am hoping it might be a tune up as I have not touched the carbs or settings on this motor.

Any idea's on what is causing the stalls and possible overheat.
thanks
Glynn

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 68 55hp evinrude problems

well over heating usually is worn out impeller, or tstats, being a 1968 i would replace both, and flush the block while doing it.