Not firing on 2 and 4 till warmed up

honald112

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have a 1975 115593 evinrude. Lately when I take her out it will only fire on the left bank until it warms up. Once at operating temperature it's fine. I can be out all day and it won't do it after any other start up, but the following day it's right back at it. I made sure the grounds are good on that bank and there is no corrotion inside the power pack where they tie in. Can someone please steer me in the right direction. Thanks, Jake.

honald112

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Not firing on 2 and 4 till warmed up

I forgot to note that the battery is fresh and cables are good and clean as well.

jonesg

Admiral

Troubleshoot it by swapping coils from side to side.
Do a spark gap test, it should jump 3/8ths inch gap with all sparkplugs out.

honald112

Seaman Apprentice

Well I went out to try the trouble shooting and discovered something. It was cranking rather slow. I recharged the battery and load lest it and it turned out good. Tried to crank it over and had no issue. Could it be that until the engine charged the battery back up, it didn't have enough power to let all 4 coil packs fire? I also want to apologize for the false info, it was 1 and 3 not firing. I forgot that was the right bank. I swapped the coils and it didn't change anything. The power pack is also relatively new. Any tips from the pro's?

jonesg

Admiral

Did you do the spark gap test.?
Now that its cranking good you should get a big blue spark
that jumps 3/8ths inch.

Also a timing light ( in the water) will show whether its spark or fuel (carb) related. Put the light on the dead cyls and watch.