1995 johnson 50hp no spark

joe2403

Cadet
:confused:I just got this motor about a month ago. The previous owners bought it new in 95 and used it on a pontoon boat. They took good care of it and had it serviced every year. They had no problems with it; I know them personally so I Know I didn't get screwed. lt hasn't been used in about a year. They had it winterized and put it in storage till I bought it. I put it on a 16' boat and when I was done the first thing I checked was spark, nothing on all 3 cyl. I spent two days going through everything and made sure I didn't overlook anything. I traced the problem to eithier the power pack, stator, or timer base. Ignition switch, controls, wiring all working like they should. If anybody has any ideas on a easy for sure test on them it would be helpful. also this was a vro; which from experience i removed and put a regular fuel pump on it. I checked all wiring from vro and nothing should stop the spark. This would be the third Johnson/evinrude that i did this to and I never had any problems with this in past. Is it common for these to lose spark from sitting?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1995 johnson 50hp no spark

To really eliminate the harness weiring disconnect the big red plug, remove all sparkplugs and jump the starter solenoid, see if spark returns.
If you leave the sparkplugs in and it starts you have no way of stopping it except by choking the carbs. Do it either way I guess.
But if spark returns take a look at the kill wiring.

joe2403

Cadet
Re: 1995 johnson 50hp no spark

yeah, i did all that testing and more. Its either power pack,stator,timer base,or something with old vro wiring. I heard one guy had the same problem and found a faulty tach wire was to blame. I know that both the tach and vro pump are drivin by stator so maybe it has something to do with vro pump I removed. The tach does move when cranking so I would assume stator is working.