Water pump replacement blues

Kaskaskia

Cadet
Replaced the waterpump on our 1979 115 hp Johnson, 115TL79R. The trans is not shifting. Haven't fired it up yet. Been trying to turn the prop by hand, its turning over the crank in f, r, and neut. no difference, prop won't freewheel in neut. Can't really see the shift rod end,( couldn't see it before I removed gear case either, what with the carbs being in the way and all ), but reinstalled shift rod bolt and it tightened up. Thanks in advance. Brian

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water pump replacement blues

Your description is difficult to understand. Could you clarify?

Were you careful not to turn the shift rod when you pulled or installed the lower unit? If it is not that you need to adjust the linkage. Try to start it and see what it does. Turning over a v4 by turning the prop by hand seems an odd way to check it. I don't know if I could turn over my V4 by hand at the prop. This would indicate that it would not go into neutral when in fact it is perfectly O.K.

Kaskaskia

Cadet

Please let me clarify. As I pushed the gearcase back up, I turned the prop to engage the splines on the drive shaft, and felt them catch. I installed the housing bolts and reattached the shiftrod bolt. I tried turning the prop as my son moved the shifter into forward, like the manual said, but the whole motor turned. I could see the flywheel up top moving and feel the pistons resistance. It didn't turn easy, but I'm 6' 250 lb, it turned. Anyhow, I had my helper shift into neutral, no freespin, still turned the motor. Same with reverse. The motor was operating correctly before I started messing with it .
But......
I did turn the shift rod about an eighth of a turn counter clockwise before reinstallation,because it looked like ,at that angle it wouldn't align with where the linkage bolt goes in.:eek: Now what should I do? Thanks!

Last edited:

6hpboat

Banned

You did not inline the shifter rod. Need to pull out and study the shifter.

Kaskaskia

Cadet

good news!! the problem was that the shift rod wasn't connected. It works fine ,now. Thanks to Solittle and 6hpboat for your input. This forum is awesome!!