First time water pump 25hp Johnson

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to attempt a water pump change on my '81 25hp Johnson. I've got an original repair manual to help me through it. With the shift linkage, do I just take out the bolt shown in the pic? Does it matter what gear the motor is in when removing the bolt/nut? Reverse seems to give me better access to it. Does the bolt come completely out or do I just loosen it up?
Also, the water pump replacement kit gave me a small package of grease. I know they say to grease the driveshaft spline. Are there any other areas that should get grease? And if so, what type of grease? Any other tips or info that might be helpful?? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: First time water pump 25hp Johnson

You shouldn't have to completely remove the bolt.

Reverse does help.

Use the grease on the splines, that's the only place.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

How exactly does the bolt connect the two linkages?

jasper60103

Commander

I have the same motor and Yes, you have to completely remove the bolt. Reverse makes removal/re-attachment easier.
Use the small packet of lube for the drive shaft splines, but careful not to put any on top of the drive shaft.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Don't mean to hijack, but is this same procedure used on a 1985 Evinrude 25? I want to replace my water pump this year.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

arks, no it is not. please start your own thread, and i will give you the info.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

How exactly does the bolt connect the two linkages?

There is an indent around the end of the upper and lower shift shaft, the bolts go through the coupler and in effect hold the rods in place by the indent.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys for the info and help! The lower end is off, old water pump is off. There are two rubber rings in the rebuild kit. Where do those go?? Do I use any thread sealer on any of the bolts when putting everything back together?
I was surprised the old impeller was in great shape...no cracks or anything.
Thanks again!

tashasdaddy

in great shape but could disintergrate at any time. there may be a groove at the top end of the drive shaft, if so one goes there.

grease you spline side but not the top of the drive shaft.

i do not use sealer.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the reply! I'll look to see if there's a groove on the driveshaft. I looked everything over pretty good and couldn't seem to find any rubber rings on the old stuff. I'll try looking at the repair manual diagram and see if I can find anything on there.

tashasdaddy

they make those kits for several motors, not unusual to have parts left over.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

Alrighty...I am taking a break. Got a little frustrated lining up the driveshaft and water tube. Is there any secret to lining up that copper water tube to the water pump? To be honest, I don't even know if it's lined up right now. It felt like the tube pushed in as I put the lower unit into place. I've got everything bolted up, but now the gear selector won't go into forward. Any ideas??
Everything went so easy until reinstalling the lower unit...lol.

bobtodd23

Seaman Apprentice

Got the shift linkage straightened out. I am going to give it a test run and make sure I am getting a stream of water. Thank you for the help!