1959 Evinrude 35 hp rough idle, wire question

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking and reading for a couple of months. There's a ton of great info on iboats. :)

I'm new to boating and recently bought a project boat that came with a 1960Evinrude 40hp. I started rebuilding that motor when my wife found a 1959 Evinrude 35 hp Golden Jubilee on craigslist ($20). This motor is in much better condition, so I worked on it instead. I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, replaced plugs, fuel lines, thermostat, impeller, lower seals and gave it a good cleaning. When I fired it up, it ran a little rough. Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-Bgm8frmw

My other question is regarding a couple of wires near the base of the throttle lever. I noticed that they were broken off (may have happened while I was cleaning). I can't figure out what they are for and I can't find any mention of them in my Seloc manual. I'm going to re-solder them, but I was wondering what their purpose was.

DSC04075wl.jpg

Here's some other pics of the 1959 Evinrude:

DSC04070wl-1.jpg

DSC04071wl.jpg

DSC04072wl.jpg

DSC04040wl.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1959 Evinrude 35 hp rough idle, wire question

looks like they went to a mercury switch, which kept the motor from starting then the throttle was turned too high.

sounds like it is running on one cylinder. check you spark, also compression. also read coils, carb adjustments in the TOP SECRET FILE.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try synchronizing your Golden Jubilee. Looks to have the same setup as my 62' 28hp Johnson. I just did mine and it sound much better.

With the exception of the coil, starter and generator, ALL wires on these engines are to warn, kill or prevent from cranking under certain circumstances.

I don't know if that's a mercury safety switch or not, but if it is, it would connect to the solenoid ground, so when the engine is tilted up, prevent it from cranking.

I would just disconnect or bypass it.

Oh! I forgot the choke wire...:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

All that stuff you said you did--and nowhere did you say you even looked at the ignition system, which is one of the FIRST things I would have looked at. A 1959 has bad (cracked) coils, unless somebody has already replaced them. In any case, you are wasting your time till you verify their conditon. Also in there are the breaker points and condensers. If the points are worn or greasy, it isn't going to run right.

The wires go to a pair of mercury switches. That is mercury--as in the metal, not Mercury as in outboard brand names. One of them prevents starting the motor when the throttle is advanced too far. The other one prevents the vacuum cut-out switch from operating at other than slow throttle settings. You will find that the wires cannot be re-soldered to the posts because the posts are stainless steel. The wires originally were welded on.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think F_R is right
One of them prevents starting the motor when the throttle is advanced too far. The other one prevents the vacuum cut-out switch from operating at other than slow throttle settings.

Synchronizing

First you must take the flywheel off to see what's going on.

On this model, there is a pointer cast into the block just past the port carb bolt., on top, kind of wedge shaped. Open the throttle so that the line on the stator plate cam, (brass fin kind of thing that the throttle linkage cam follower roller rides on,) lines up with the pointer casting.

The throttle butterfly is supposed to JUST START OPENING at this point. Adjust the throttle butterfly by removing cotter pin, loosening the screw, turn the cam screw to adjust, tighten the screw and replace cotter pin.

You're done... put it back together.

Different models have similar but different methods. Check your book!
:D:D:D

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, now I know what those wires go to.

Hrmm... well I do have new points, coils and condensers. I bought them for the 1960 Lark II when I pulled the flywheel off that one. I didn't replace those components in the '59 because I wanted to see how it ran after doing everything else. Looks like I'll just go ahead and pull the flywheel off the '59 and replace the ignition components. I figured I'd have to anyway. After I do that, I'll synchronize.

thanks for all the input. I'll update as I go. :)

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I tested the compression again (I checked it when I first got it home) and one is 138 psi and the other is 137. Also looks like both p[lugs are firing.

I just took the pull start off and found an inspection window in the flywheel (My 1960 doesn't have one). No oil and everything looks clean - no cracks in the coils. Looks like the coils were replaced 30 years ago. Would it still be a good idea to replace everything?

DSC04223lw.jpg

DSC04221lw.jpg

DSC04216lw.jpg

DSC04215lw.jpg

lindy46

Captain

I'd go ahead and replace the coils and points as long as you have them. Sounds like it's periodically missing, so I'd suspect either a bad coil or a bad/dirty set of points. Compression is great!

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

actually, those coils look ok. I wouldn't replace them unless FR told me to. It is the original ones that all went bad, but I think once they are replaced, the replacement ones last forever (almost).

When you run it, is it in a barrel or on a boat in a lake? You want to adjust the carb on a boat on a lake, using the method described by Joe Reeves in the top secret files. Adjust the full throttle first, then adjust the idle, and it should purr like a kitten.

If there is any doubt about the coils, pull a plug wire and start it. It should start and run a little rough. Shut it down, put the plug wire back on and pull the other. It should also start and run rough.

If it won't start with either plug wire pulled, then one cylinder isn't firing. Swap the spark plugs and run the above test again. Did the bad spark follow the plug? If so, replace the plugs. If not, replace your coils (might as well do them both if you are in there).

Good luck!

jbjennings

Captain

What a super nice motor you have there!!!!!
AND most importantly, super nice compression!
I'll bet when you clean and regap the points and get good spark on both plugs, get the carb cleaned, and adjust the idle mixture, it will idle nicely.
I enjoyed the pics,
JBJ

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm updating an old thread because I actually got around to working on the ignition system on this Jubilee Lark. I've been working on other projects and finally found time to go through and replace all of the ignition components. After pulling the flywheel off, I found nothing visually wrong. When I removed one of the coils however I found the lower wire was contacting the shaft and had been worn through to the core. Also one of the spark plug leads had a cut through to the copper wire. That was the obvious stuff. I didn't test anything- just replaced it all. I figured after 30 + years it needed new components.

I did find something odd though. My points kit came with felt wicks, but the engine didn't have them or the mounts. My 1961 Lark didn't have them either. When I looked at my owners manual, they were mentioned so I'd assume they should be present on the 1959 model. Am I wrong?

IMG_0150-1.jpg

IMG_0155-1.jpg

IMG_0176-1.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The mount for the wick would have been under one of the coils. If not there, it was lost long ago.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does the clip look like this? I'll have to search around my spare parts to see if I have one.

image.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Thats her

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sweet! I found it in my spare parts box. :)

Next question: does this look like the right placement? It should go on the irregularly shaped boss ("D" shaped)?

image.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Thats right, it will really only fit on one way.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Excellent, thanks for your help. I'll get the flywheel torqued down in a couple of days and see how it runs.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I torqued down the flywheel, connected the battery, connected to fuel line, turned on the water to the ears. She sputtered to life and ran pretty good. I think there is an improvement, but I need to get out on the delta and stretch its legs to really see.

lindy46

Captain

Yeah, you'll need to make final carb adjustments on the water. It's not a good idea to run that motor on muffs anyway - only run her when submersed in water.