1990 Evinrude 100

lomac9

Cadet
New to this site and motor. Does water supposed to come out of the prop when running. When the motor is started there is no water coming out of the 2 holes below powerhead for about 1-2 minutes. Once the water starts coming out I get a overheat alarm. When the engine is running you can look down and see that there is no exhaust pressure coming from the prop (bubbles ect.) water pump is working as there is a firm stream from pisser. Exhaust blockage posssibly? Motor sat in the up position for about 3 years till now. Any ideas would be appreciated

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Evinrude 100

When you run it on he hose you should see water coming out of the hub on the prop. Cooling water mixes with exhaust when exiting the motor. The two holes just under the powerhead may have a mist or spit a bit but should not hav a constant water flow. sounds like a thermostat or water passage issue.

passages can get completel y plugged with salt or silt or mud or mice even when stored for a lopng while!!! You would be surprised!

lomac9

Cadet

Ok well I believe I noticed water coming out on the hose (cant remember) but in the water I didnt. I actually raised the engine up where the prop was close to being out of the water and I expected to see it at least blowing some water out or bubbles or something. I have replaced the thermos and water pump already. If there is a blockage in the exhaust where should I start looking? Also the VRO has been bypassed. There is a 2 strand wire that comes out of the front of the motor thats been just cut off which i think was part of that system. should that be hooked to a battery or something the reason I asking is what prevents the alarm from going off? The alarm I m getting is not constant. Its intermittent. beep pause beep pause and goes off as soon as i turn the key off. I believe if i were overheating the alarm would continue to beeep even after key has been turned off. Thanks again for any help

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you tilt the motor up until the hub is out of the water you will no longer be pumping water so nothing will be coming out.

lomac9

Cadet

I didnt lift it that high. The prop was about 6-10 in under the water

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well at that depth you won't be able to tell if water is coming out as at idle water pressure is low and throught the hub it is not a high flow rate. you should get some exhaust coming throught though.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Ok well I believe I noticed water coming out on the hose (cant remember) but in the water I didnt. I actually raised the engine up where the prop was close to being out of the water and I expected to see it at least blowing some water out or bubbles or something. I have replaced the thermos and water pump already. If there is a blockage in the exhaust where should I start looking? Also the VRO has been bypassed. There is a 2 strand wire that comes out of the front of the motor thats been just cut off which i think was part of that system. should that be hooked to a battery or something the reason I asking is what prevents the alarm from going off? The alarm I m getting is not constant. Its intermittent. beep pause beep pause and goes off as soon as i turn the key off. I believe if i were overheating the alarm would continue to beeep even after key has been turned off. Thanks again for any help

A continuous short pulse beep is the no oil alarm. Overheat is a continuous tone.

lomac9

Cadet

Ok ty. Correct me if im wrong if it was overheating the alarm would continue even after the key was turned off? Another thing seeing how the Vro has been bypassed then how can i correct the alarm from going off