95 Johnson 150 hp Oceanrunner, problem starting and leaking solenoid

nomisx98

Cadet
Would a leaking solenoid prevent engine from starting correctly? I have the hardest time starting my motor. 1995 Johnson 150hp Oceanrunner. Never starts up right away and after letting it sit for an hour or so it starts right up and eventually shuts down unless I rev up the engine for a bit. Just today I took the cover off the carbs and noticed when pushing in the key for the primer it leaks gas from the red handle of the solenoid. Could this be the reason for me to have such a hard time getting the boat started? Batteries are charged and fuel lines and primer bulb are new. Thanks for your help!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 95 Johnson 150 hp Oceanrunner, problem starting and leaking solenoid

Yes you got it right ,
and you can a rebuild seal kit for the solenoid.
Maybe one of the techs here can give you the part number for the kit.

nomisx98

Cadet

Just placed an order with Iboats. Thank you gentlemen will let you know how it turns out.

nomisx98

Cadet

Update on motor, the solenoid rebuild kit came in today and I had replaced it with no problems and that has solved the leaking problem. But the boat still will not start. I checked the spark and it does not seem to spark when I do a spark check. But when I let the motor sit for an hour or so, sometimes it would start. Could someone point me in the right direction? I really hope to fix this problem myself as I do not have much spending money to hire someone else to do so. Please let me know what else I could troubleshoot. Thank you gentlemen you have been very helpful thus far.

nomisx98

Cadet

Was troubleshooting the motor for a couple hours and noticed by wiggling the throttle handle back and forth in neutral I get a quick back fire when trying to start the motor, just one quick boom and it stops. It seems as if there might be a short in the throttle box? I know if the throttle is not engaged in the proper neutral position then not only the motor but the starter won't turn. This is not the case, the starter turns fine and with a little movement from the throttle in neutral I get a quick backfire from the motor and then nothing. Or at least it appears that way. Could it be I need to replace the throttle or is there anyway to bypass the wires on the throttle box and try to start it without the neutral safety? Please let me know, thank you!

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could have a bad ignition switch, try removing the black and yellow wire from your kill switch but put the muffs on with the hose just incase it starts you will have to touch that same wire back to where you removed it and turn the key to off to shut down the motor. If it does start then the ignition switch was the problem ($35).

nomisx98

Cadet

You could have a bad ignition switch, try removing the black and yellow wire from your kill switch but put the muffs on with the hose just incase it starts you will have to touch that same wire back to where you removed it and turn the key to off to shut down the motor. If it does start then the ignition switch was the problem ($35).

When referring to the kill switch would that be the same thing as the safety lanyard? I have noticed two black and yellow wires on the safety lanyard. Do I disconnect them both? Thank you!