Dirty WOT timing

interd0g

Seaman
I have been struggling with the wot thing on my 200 Oceanpro and for some reason could not get a sensible result using the Reeves dockside method.
I can't hang out the back at wot because its always very rough here.
I think it has to do with the quickstart - I don't see how you can prevent it doing at least the 5 secs advance period even when hot,and you don't want to crank much longer than that.
Then I came across this idea- you disconnect the throttle cam so when you open up the throttle lever, the advance takes place but rpm stays low with throttle closed.
You can then see the timing point with your light under somewhat running conditions.
I am not advocating this in any way because I don't know what I'm doing, but would welcome comments as to safety etc?

interd0g

Seaman
Re: Dirty WOT timing

Adding a bit here. reading up on the CDI site I see the quickstart will always be active while cranking hence the problem with the Reeves method for this engine.
A bit more connect/disconnects seem to be needed.
Maybe you need to
1) Ground the black/white from the p/pack to eliminate temperature based QS.
2) Disconnect the yellow red from the start solenoid to get rid of the cranking based QS.
3) Wait out the 5 second standard QS.

This is getting a bit murky.
?

clanton

Rear Admiral

And as the RPMs increase, the voltages increase and cause the timing to advance app 1-4 degrees. Thats is why the final check should be at full throttle and 5000 RPMs. You might try backing boat on trailer in water, using prop with blades cut down, or find a test prop.

interd0g

Seaman

Thanks, I would like to do it by the book but down here I can't get any of the necessary stuff in less than a month and with 100% duty.
Ref. this method, you disconnect the carb cam so that the throttle lever advances ign, but no throttle opening occurs.
The engine only revs up a little with wot at the controls.
You use the light to watch and adjust the timing to spec -4 degrees, in the case of a 1998 200 Oceanpro that's 14 degrees..
It's certainly as easy as possible.
I stumbled over it while trawling the CDI site.
Disclaimer; I am not in any qualified to suggest anything.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Grounding the powerpack end of the white with black stripe wire will disable QuikStart.