Stalls in reverse only?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
One of the boats im looking at (posted about the other omc in other forum) Has an evinrude 115 hp, with an interesting problem. I took it for a test drive and everything went great. Ran smooth, planed out, revved nice. However i put it into reverse and it stalled out. It idles fine, runs fine, but stalls out when you put it into reverse. The guy said this exactly:

It usually stalls out when you put it in reverse. This has never worked right, but never been a big deal for us because we always just pushed out. Neutral and forward work fine. We never did check out what the reverse problem was because it wasn't an issue

What the hell could this be? Any ideas? I can get this boat for a good deal and the interior is mint.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stalls in reverse only?

Idle speed set too slow. Reverse requires more horsepower, not much more but enough to make a difference if it is too slow.

---OR--- is this the one that won't go into reverse???

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Idle speed set too slow. Reverse requires more horsepower, not much more but enough to make a difference if it is too slow.

---OR--- is this the one that won't go into reverse???

It will go into reverse but usually stalls, meaning it physicall goes into gear, but the motor stalls out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, speed up the idle a bit.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The idle should be 650-750 rpm when in gear, floating in the lake at normal rest position. If it is lower than that, you can have stalling problems. The idle speed is set by adjusting the idle timing screw.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

OK, speed up the idle a bit.

I thought about that, but wouldnt it stall at idle if the idle speed was low?

Just want to make sure it doesnt sound like anything major before i buy this. Thanks for your help so far!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I thought about that, but wouldnt it stall at idle if the idle speed was low?

Just want to make sure it doesnt sound like anything major before i buy this. Thanks for your help so far!

That is what I am trying to tell you. If the idle speed is too low, it will stall. It takes more power to run in reverse, so that is the first gear that will cause it to stall. It takes very little power to run in neutral, so unless the idle speed is WAY too low, it will not stall it.

If the idle speed is set correctly, 650-750 in forward gear, you will probably see something like 800-900 in neutral, and 600 in reverse. But set it for 600 in forward and then reverse will drag it down to around 500--too slow to run

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

That is what I am trying to tell you. If the idle speed is too low, it will stall. It takes more power to run in reverse, so that is the first gear that will cause it to stall. It takes very little power to run in neutral, so unless the idle speed is WAY too low, it will not stall it.

If the idle speed is set correctly, 650-750 in forward gear, you will probably see something like 800-900 in neutral, and 600 in reverse. But set it for 600 in forward and then reverse will drag it down to around 500--too slow to run

Gotcha, thanks for the help!