Johnson 1985 70 horse outboard

hillbillyjack

Recruit
I just installed a new throttle cable. I adjusted it to get full carb deflection. Only I can't go full throttle without it dying. I have forward and reverse only at a trolling speed. I didn't want to adjust the spark advance, with fear of throwing off the timing? I noticed when I move the spark advance arm while trolling it dies. Like the motor needs air? Please help me, it's time to go fishin'.:eek:

fireman57

Captain
Re: Johnson 1985 70 horse outboard

Did it run okay before you installed the cable? When is the last time that you did a good job of cleaning the carbs. Do not advance your spark. You may want to get a buddy out on the water with you and disconnect the cable and try to throttle it up by hand. That will tell you if it is a cable problem but I suspect a fuel problem.

hillbillyjack

Recruit
Re: Johnson 1985 70 horse outboard

I did replace all the fuel lines and pump about three years ago. But I did notice the lack of fuel in the fuel filter this year. When I did replace the lines I used hose clamps that were a bit too big. I will go through and replace those clamps to ensure proper fuel pressure. When I ran it in the driveway I manipulated the carbs and it reved fine? I think you are right and I really appreciate your help. Keep on fishin' and thanks again.