Fuel/Water Separator

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1992 Johnson 100 hp commercial outboard. Late last summer I started having problems that I believe are ethanol related. Can anyone recommend the proper fuel/water separator for an older carburated motor? Any tips regarding installation?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel/Water Separator

Any Fuel/water separator with a 20 GPH capacity or more is fine. They are about $25 for the plastic resin ones, which work OK. The cartridges are $6 - $8 each. I recommend a 3/8 brass fuel fittting for that motor. Install the seperator between the tank and primer bulb.

These separators will only trap water and separated alcohol/water mix, until they fill up (about a pint). So I would remove and empty the separator into a clear container every couple of running hours, to see the water and other stuff, after you first install it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier offers a fuel separator kit: 174176. Probably under $ 50. Includes the new filter with the actual aluminum head casting. You have to purchase your own brass hose barbs separately. Mercury dealers offer the same kit and theirs comes with all the hardware-includes two brass plugs and two hose barbs for 3/8" line. They are easy to setup and install.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys - this is exactly what I was looking for.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

This is a great read (and ratings) for the fuel/water seperator kits. It is a PDF file, and be sure to read both pages:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/fuelFilter.pdf

Happy boating!

Just be aware that the report is now six years old and that some things are not the same.

Also be aware that some of the heads accommodate a large number of generic filters and some will only fit specific filters.