Motor started bogging

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
1987 erude 88 spl

I was out fishing yesterday,motor ran great all day untill the way back to the boat ramp.was heading back to the ramp after a day of fishing and out of nowhere the motor just fell on it's face and died.started it back up and went to take off and it would barely go.

Tried pumping the bulb,with nothing changing.Also tried pushing in the choke,when i would push the choke it would change a little but not enough to matter.

The motor would rev up with the high idle but when i would put it in gear to go then i get nothing?The motor would also die if i left it idle for more than 5 seconds or so.would not run hardly at all without using the high idle.

I figure it is a fuel problem of some kind but wanted to get some advise from the pros here before i started tearing er down.

Thanks,
Shane

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Motor started bogging

As far as i know it is,i ran almost 2 tanks of gas out of it this year already and filled it up yesterday morning again.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like fuel is a good place to start.....easy stuff first...gas tank venting ok? No kinks in gas lines? Tap the carb bowl(s) in case a float is stuck?

After that I think you are going to be into removing carb for cleaning/new gaskets, checking spark & compression, etc.

Report back and good luck!

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,i took carbs off and checked everything in them,all seems good as far as the carbs go.
Checked screen on fuel pump,no problems there.
Checked and replaced fuel filter,just because.
Checked plugs and regaped em,they where just a little off.
Although i just put fresh gas in it yesterday it smelled a little off so I drained all the gas.Put some[iso heat]in the tank and put new gas in the boat.
Checked compression,all seems good!Havn't tried it since i put new gas in, have to wait for daughter to wake up from knap then i'm gonna give er a try and will let you know.

Thanks for all the imput!:D

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

check that the timing is advancing,its connected to the throttle arm ,it rotates under the flywheel,at wide open throttle it should come to rest aginst a rubber stop.the plastic connector will break over time

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

My 85 Johnson 150 was doing something similar. It ended up being one of the power packs.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Timing is advancing far as i can tell,everything moves as it's supposed to.did get to start the motor in the driveway,but hard to tell without having a test tank if it's working properly.Am going to take it to the river here in a while and test vit while on trailer.

How can i test my powerpacks?

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked my motor for spark just a while ago,wish I'd checked it sooner woulda saved me alot of trouble.Anyway,2 cylinders are getting spark and 2 arnt.So I'm guessing my power pack is bad on those 2 cylinders [port side]I think?If i'm looking at the motor from the back it's the left 2 cylinders.

Is there anything else that would cause the motor not to get spark on these cylinders?

I'm assuming that 2 coils don't usually go out at the same time?

Does my diagnosis of the power pack sound accurate?My motor had 2 power packs,1 for each 2 cylinders.

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure exactly how to check the pack, but it would seem if you have power coming in to the pack but it's not coming out. It's has to be bad.
Mine was acting the same as yours, the mechanic put the new pack on it and fixed that problem. But I'm still having trouble at 4100 rpms. The mechanic has been throwing parts at it and still hasn't fixed it. I took it back to him Monday. I think the stator is breaking down at high rpms, but I'm only guessing.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

you can switch the packs,if the problem is resolved with the swith ,its a bad pack

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Switched the packs and confirmd it is a bad pack,new 1 should be here anytime,just waiting on the UPS man to get here.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Shane.