1990 evinrude VRO 150 Hp will not start

1989 winner

Recruit
New to this forum, so not sure if im going about this correctly, but here goes nothing.
I have a 1990 Evinrude 150 hp VRO motor.(Model # VE150TXESB)
Ive have had it one season and it is a very strong running motor. I have replaced the rectifier, starter, starter selenoid, impeller, new plugs, and cleaned the carbs.
Its always had a hard time starting when it hasnt been ran. (so if i went out and spent the night on the boat it would be tough to start up that follwing morning)
After spending much time, i have come up with a way to start it up first time, cold or not. I would pump the oil, then pump the primer bulb til hard, then move the primer switch selenoid down to neutral and press bulb 4 times to choke the motor. Then it would always start right up. After starting i then move the primer choke selenoid switch back to the left(manually instead of at helm)
Now It wont start for anything. It sounds like it isnt combusting. The motor sounds like its ready to start but held back by the starter due to it not spinning fast enough.
if anyone has any thoughts please let me know what you can think of!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 evinrude VRO 150 Hp will not start

Welcome to iboats.
You need 300rpm + to start the motor. If you are below that then it could be the problem. That could be one or all the problem is. Get your battery tested and clean all connections. They may look good but take them off and individually clean them till they are shiny. Check the cables for nicks and damage. Replace if necessary. Is the solenoid working from the controls end ??? If not you need to trouble shoot that issue.
Once again a basic health check is also needed.
Compression
Spark on all cylinders
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition
Post the results and we can all go from there.

1989 winner

Recruit

ok will do i will be out of town until friday...so i will check it then..as far as the controls, they do work from the helm i believe. If the red switch on the choke selenoid is supposed to move as you choke it from helm...then it is not working, but it does click.
The fuel delivery should be good...it smells of fuel and you can see the fuel in the water as i try to start it in driveway.
the plugs are new...once pulled out you can see black on the ends..smell of fuel.

Also there is a coil pack for each cylinder, so where is the power pack(s) located?

How would i do any tests on the coils and power packs once located? Also is there anyway to ohm the choke selenoid to verify it works?
I have been looking for ignition trouble shooting scenarios to possibly give me a place to start/or dig deeper into.
Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

From your terminology, I'm not sure you are using the correct starting process. The primer solenoid on/by the airbox has a red lever on it. For normal running, the lever needs to be parallel to the length of the solenoid at all times. When the key is depressed (pushed in) that solenoid is activated and squirts a small amount of fuel into each carb, through one of those tiny rubber hoses. To check the primer solenoid for proper operation, you can pull that hose off the top carb, have someone turn the key to on, then push in on the key. The solenoid should activate and fuel should come out of the end of the hose as long as the key is pushed in. When the engine is cold, you should push in on the key for 10-15 seconds, then try to start. You may need to repeat this. Once running, you may have to push in on the key briefly every 10- 20 seconds till it warms up and runs on it's own. You can easily check for spark with an inductive timing light. You can put the timing light lead on each plugwire, then read the gun flashes when the engine turns over, or is running. It will show no fires and misfires. Your engine has a single power pack, located just behind the spark lever on the starboard side of the engine-under the electrical terminal strip. If your model is a 150 XP/GT model with the 35 amp alternator, it will have the quick start feature, which automatically advances the timing somewhat till the engine warms up to 100 degrees. A nice feature for cold starts. An original factory service manual is the only one which covers ignition troubleshooting properly. You can get one from Ken Cook, Co. in Milwaukee. It will tell you what special tools you need for diagnosis.

1989 winner

Recruit

well i just got home...went out to check the motor...there is no spark on either bank. I checked the lanyard(kill switch) on helm it is in working order. I got started with checking the coils..but was unable to due to the sudden downpour of rain. So im looking at the power pack as a suspect now. Possible coils as well? not so sure at this point.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The spark plug coils usually have a very low failure rate. Would be very unusual for all 6 of them to go out at once. I'd look elsewhere.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Testing for spark is done with all of the spark plugs removed so that the ignition system has the best possible chance of firing at 300 RPM. You need a test device capable of a gap of at least 3/8".

Once you establish whether or not you have fire at 300RPM with all of the plugs out, you can move to the next set of possibilities. http://cdielectronics.com/downloads...44 (1989-1991 150 HP Without Quick-Start).pdf