1961 Johnson 40hp Seahorse

kirkster

Recruit
New to the forum and figured this is the best place to get help.

I have a 1961 40hp Johnson seahorse that is in real good condition, except for a clutch dog I need to get, and am considering using it on my Grumman 4.6. I have the electric start but no throttle controls.

Are there universal controls I could use that would work with an engine this old or do I need to find 60's controls from Johnson/Evinrude?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Johnson 40hp Seahorse

New to the forum and figured this is the best place to get help.

I have a 1961 40hp Johnson seahorse that is in real good condition, except for a clutch dog I need to get, and am considering using it on my Grumman 4.6. I have the electric start but no throttle controls.

Are there universal controls I could use that would work with an engine this old or do I need to find 60's controls from Johnson/Evinrude?

There are universal controls, but the correct OMC controls are so plentiful that there is not much sense looking for anything else. Johnson called them "Shipmaster", Evinrude called them "Simplex" and Gale called them "Bo'sun". There are two basic styles according to vintage. Both will work. The early ones had round knobs and the newer ones had not-round knobs. The newer ones are better.

If you buy a used set, try to get one complete with cables, even if the cables are junk. Cables can be replaced, but you need the ends off the old ones.

arnfayn1

Cadet
1961 Johnson 40hp Seahorse

I have Johnson 40hp with generator GJG40003M (12v 10a).
I do not know what kind of the original Voltege Regulator related to it and
what kind of the car regulator will work with this generator.

Thanks for All who will reply.