Timer base install on 1984 evinrude 70hp

Time2Fly1

Cadet
just wonding if I should attempt this myself, I don't want to blow a powerhead with it to lean or to rich I've never done timing on an outboard or anything and it say you need to adjust the timeing after install. I don't want anymore problems I will end up paying someone to do it right before I attempt something that I should not try with no prior experience. Can I just take the old one out and new one in without ajusting the timing or should that be done because it will be out of wak or just to have it checked to make sure the timing is right on it.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Timer base install on 1984 evinrude 70hp

I wouldn't hesitate if I had the service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com

my engine has optical ignition so I can't shed any light on yours.

Toddo1

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the timer base on my 1981 70 hp. It will unbolt and bolt without having to mess with the timing. Just make sure it moves freely when you reassemble it.

To perform this job you'll need to pull the flywheel. The tools you'll need besides the basics are... the correct socket for the flywheel nut (and probably an impact wrench to remove it), a flywheel puller and a torque wrench to tighten the nut correctly when reinstalling (very important).

Time2Fly1

Cadet

I have the flywheel and stator off, is it possible to test the trigger without the stator and flywheel on torqued to specs? I tested white to blue/purple/green on ohms with my digital meter and had to use the M setting which I believe is millions and came up with 1.2-38 million ohms? there is no continuity and last time I sent it to the shop it I gave him the a new trigger that I purchased and he didn't need it only a wooddrift key. He said the tiggers raley go bad my enginge and I want to check it myself. Thanks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Look up the owners manual for your digital multimeter and learn how to use the ohmmeter function.

If you measure ohms and get a result that is a number, then there is, by definition, continuity. If there's no continuity, then resistance is infinity, which most meters show as 0.L

Resistance is the only bench test available for the timer base.

Why did you take the flywheel off?

Time2Fly1

Cadet

I have an ideal meter 600v true rms and a dva when needed. I am an electrician so I'm guessing I should be using a different meter. What is the cheapest meter I can buy to properly test the ohms reading is it possible to test with flywheel off stator off and just the trigger bolted. I don't want to take that off If I don't have to. Thanks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

auto parts store or walmarts automotive section you can get an autoranging digital multimeter for less than $30, not the best but good enough (I use one a those for a backup).

you can complete those tests with the flywheel in place. the pins can be extracted from those connectors for testing.

Timing is not that difficult, but you really do need to go through the process (which includes resetting the TDC pointer) whenever the flywheel is removed. You'll need a timing light, nothing fancy. Be sure to torque the flywheel nut to spec (100 ft lbs), else it'll shear the flywheel key. Go over to the "Engine FAQ" section of iboats, look for the "Joe Reeves WOT Timing" thread. You can do it.

That's a great motor, and you can do all the maintenance and repairs yourself, but you really should have a service manual, I recommend the factory shop manual; mine has paid for itself many times over.

meanwhile I take it you at least have an ignition troubleshooting guide? if not check out www.outboardignition.com . I guess you measured the DVA output?

:) sorry bout the electrics lesson, had no idea I was talkin to a professional..........

Time2Fly1

Cadet

I'm no professonal. Just love a challange. Mecanicaly inclined they say Jack of all trades just not to informative as far as outboards go. but all for learning new stuff. I appreciate the advice. I'll post up when all is done. Thanks