175 evinrude intruder

sbuchholz

Cadet
i have a 2001 searay 4.7L mercruiser I/O it has red fluid in the power steering compartment and there is no power steering fluid that is red that they sell, do i just use dextron ATF? Also my marine stereo system is getting the am channels but no longer the fm channels how would i tune this

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 175 evinrude intruder

You may have 2 problems.

First, there is probably corrosion in the starter high current circuit, preventing the starter from getting enough current to run. Remove, clean and reassemble all battery cable connections. The worst offender is usually where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block.

Once you get the starter working again, go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do "Outboard won't start".

Good luck, and let us know how you do,

sbuchholz

Cadet

i checked the voltage at the starter and it was 12.69 until you turned the key then it dropped to two

JB

You may have confused the solenoid with the starter. If the starter had 12+ on it it should have been turning. Until you turn the key or energize the solenoid it should be zero.

Did you clean the cable connections? It sounds like a bad cable or battery connection.

sbuchholz

Cadet

i checked across the big black and red cable going to the starter then the little cables under the solenoid. where should i check some suggested i check the power at the starter and if it drops when i turn the key they say its my starter

sbuchholz

Cadet

how do i jump the starter pos cable battery and pos cable to starter and what about the grounding on both sides

JB

Is there some reason you can't take the battery cable connections off and clean them??

Looking okay is not good enough.

Being tight is not good enough.

"Checking" them can only be done by taking them off and cleaning them.

sbuchholz

Cadet

i cleaned the all cables and the solenoid still keeps clicking, sorry i didnt say that. i live in florida and no need to winterize. Im really just trying to get this boat started so i can sell it and buy another one

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the battery is good, you can have resistance in any part of the starter circuit. You can usually find the source of the resistance by touch because it will generate heat.​

Battery cables degrade from inside the sheathing, but you can usually see some swelling of the cable, or feel a crunch when you bend it.​

If you have a reliable dc voltmeter, you can do a voltage drop test to isolate the problem:​

So, put your positive voltmeter lead on the battery positive terminal [9]and the voltmeter negative lead on the large incoming solenoid/battery terminal post [6] and hit the starter switch. If the voltage meter reads more than .3 volts, the battery cable is bad, corroded or has a bad connection;

Next, connect the voltmeter negative lead to the outgoing large solenoid post [7] and the positive voltmeter lead to the incoming large solenoid post [6] while cranking the starter. If the voltmeter reads greater than .2 volts, the solenoid is bad, corroded or has a bad connection;

Next, connect the positive voltmeter lead to the outgoing large solenoid post [7] and the negative voltmeter lead to the starter positive post [8] and hit the starter switch. A reading of over .2 volts indicates a bad wire between the solenoid and the starter;

Lastly, connect the negative battery post [10] to the negative voltmeter lead and the positive voltmeter lead to the engine block [11] and crank the engine. A reading of greater than .3 volts indicates a bad negative cable, corrosion or a bad cable connection.

The idea is that normally when you put both leads of a voltmeter on the same side of a circuit you should get no reading.

Click the thumbnail for the diagram to help visualize the process.​

Attachments

• Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sbuchholz

Cadet

my starter and solenoid was bad i changed them out, now my boat turns but wont start like always, sometimes it will sometimes it wont, my batteries are fine under load test, i have spark, there gas how can i fix this so my boat turns on after i turn the key

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Once you have the starter supplied with enough power to turn the engine at 300 RPM, you need three other things for a cold start:

You need to enrich the fuel/air ratio using either chokes or primer solenoids, usually engaged by pushing the key in while cranking the engine.

You need to advance the timing, usually engaged by raising a warmup lever or by QuikStart in engines with that feature.

You need to slightly advance the throttle, also done with the warmup lever.

For controls with no warmup lever, there is usually a manual override which will allow you to advance the throttle arm for a cold start.

sbuchholz

Cadet

are you talking about the choke, im sorry this is my 3rd boat, im a women, im in the medical field, but i have done alot of work on my own boat thanks to the internet. I tried the 8 second rule it still wont start it just rur, rur, rur,
batteries fully charged and cleaned i dont know what else to do im trying to sell it but i need it to start

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

are you talking about the choke, im sorry this is my 3rd boat, im a women, im in the medical field, but i have done alot of work on my own boat thanks to the internet. I tried the 8 second rule it still wont start it just rur, rur, rur,
batteries fully charged and cleaned i dont know what else to do im trying to sell it but i need it to start

The "8 second rule" is something made up by various owners because it can sometimes work if you have enough pressure on your fuel line from pumping the manual primer bulb.

The primer solenoid on your motor is activated by pushing in the key but the primer solenoid is just a valve and cannot create any pressure on its own. If you push in the key while the key is in the start position turning the engine, the fuel pump will supply pressure to enrich the fuel/air mix.

Owner's manuals usually describe the cold start procedure as shown in the thumbnail. We also discussed the procedure in the Engine FAQ forum: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

Attachments

• Cold Start.JPG
    Cold Start.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 0