'86 Johnson 110 - fuel line issues

tmcallister

Cadet
I have a 1986 Johnson 110 HP outboard with minor issues. The engine will run great if you pump up the fuel line... start... and drive to your destination. However after about an hour drift fishing... I try and start the motor.. it will start up fine.. take off to get on plane.. and then it falls down and dies. I go pump up the fuel line.. then usually starts up perfectly and goes down lake with any issues. It seems like the line can't maintain fuel pressure.. and I am wondering maybe if she needs a new fuel pump.. or bulb.. whatever it takes..:)

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: '86 Johnson 110 - fuel line issues

If you can pump fuel by hand then the bulb is almost certainly ok. Its function is to fill the carb(s) before you start The bulb does not maintain any pressure in the line, the pump sucks the fuel up when the engine is running

Check the fuel line for air leaks if it suck in air it will die

If the bulb is not sucked flat it's not an obstruction in the tank outlet.

If you can keep it going by pumping the bulb then very likely a fuel pump issue if no air leaks

tmcallister

Cadet

Thank You..What would be a good technique for checking for air leaks in the fuel line.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Inspection for splits and cracks, any small fuel weeps, security and condition of joints with hose end fittings and the bulb.

Esp look at the condition of the fuel connectors and the O rigs in them that make the joints... must be air tight joints.

Also extend the inspection to the hose from the connector to the filter and the pump. The filter also

Its a VRO ?? so fingers crossed its not a pump problem.

tmcallister

Cadet

It is a VRO :confused: I guess that is expensive pump?

The oil has to be pre-mixed with the gas. So..They must have replaced the fuel pump with different type.

So.. you think this VRO engine is going to even run right with modified fuel delivery... no VRO pump

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

So you are saying you use premix.

So either the oil system has been disconnected from the VRO pump or an "ordinary" pump has been fitted in place of the VRO pump.

The prioity has to be to find the cause of the trouble.

If that turns out to be the pump and its an ordinary pump then it can be overhauled. If its still the old VRO pump then replacing it with an ordinary pump is a relatively inexpensive option.