18 hp johnson

shawn1970

Recruit
ok i am new here i just got a 18 hp johnson model #fd13r i think its a 1959
i got iy for 50 bucks with a tank but no fuel line where can i find one of thease. also it hasnt been run in years, i looked at the tech tips on get an okd motor goin where can i find the carb rebuild kit an other parts that i might need.any help is greatly apprecatied.and do u thnk it was worth the 50 as it sits.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 18 hp johnson

FD-13 is a 1959 18hp

If it has the original tank it appears that is a pressurised tank so a dual line is required unless it has been or can be converted to a single line system

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 18 hp johnson

In my opinion the 18's from OMC are some of the best motors to have ever come out, near bullet proof, easy to work on, easy to get parts and have lots of power for their weight.

50 bucks is a great deal for that classic motor. Converting it to a single line gas is pretty easy, there's lots of info on the web oh how to do it or what to buy.

Before you do that, I would get a compression gauge and check the compression, because if you don't have at least 75 lbs in both cylinders and if both cylinders are not within 15 psi of each other, then you've got bigger problems.

Also read the stick on starting up an old motor and also the one on how to do a compression check.

If you have good compression, then get a manual. Most all the parts you're gonna need to get the motor running are available here on iboats.