Finishing my rebuild-- how did I do?

GatorMike

Ensign
I realize the real test will be how it runs and holds up over time but I put together a few stats on my rebuild, Just wondering how others would rate my work. LOL this is for kicks and I want honest answers. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, I'm not taking any coments seriously.

1st let me give you a little background. I am a natural born terrible mechanic, I'm clumbsy with my fingers, forgetful, not well organized and messy I'm also a cheap SOB and will spend hours making a tool or part that I could have bought for $5. That said, on the other side I am patient, almost obsessive with my work ethics (I'll fiddle with a minor task until I get it right) also to my advantage this is not my first outboard rebuild, I have done it twice before. I rebuilt a 1.6 litre OMC in the mid 90s and a 115 Johnson 7 years ago.

Here are the stats on my rebuild.
Time spent ------------------------------35 hrs +-
Parts I broke-----------------------------3 bolts none required heli coils or drillig & retaping. 1 plastic fuel line manifold $14. 1 shift cable not repaired yet.
Parts missing I have to pick up today------1 nut, 1 inspection port bolt, 1 head bolt, 1 plastic ball that connects throttle arm to timer base.
Parts I lost & already replaced-------------1 screw and clamp for timer base/trigger.
Parts left over I have no idea where they go-3 or 4 washers, 3 bolts. (the left over bolts I think can be explained by some replacement bolts I purchased).
Tasks left to complete---------------------install missing bolts & plastic ball, hook up battery, fix broken shift cable (boat item not engine part), start engine.
Oh I do have a vacume hose I have to find where it plugs into, it comes out of the left side of the crankcase just behind the starter solenoid and is about 18 inches long. Bet I'm gonna have to remove the carbs to find where it goes?

Haven't started it yet or checked the compression but I'm not worried. She rotates smothe & makes no odd noises and everything is torqued to specs, shouldn't be any problems.

OK so how did I do on a scale of 1-10?
Feel free to bust my chops, I can take it.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finishing my rebuild-- how did I do?

ooops ...never mind....I reread your post and found my answer

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

What was it you rebuilt this time? Your fuel pump doesn't happen to have a nipple with no hose attached to it does it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as long as it holds together, and runs, i give you a 10!!!